on verge of giving up....

• 10 Replies

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
on verge of giving up....
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:54 »
So its like this, I am fortunate to have landed a good job, but means I work long hours. I have three kids under 6, so have little to zero time.....

We have half a plot that I struggle to get to for more than an hour a week!!!!

I've kept it going for two years now with success but am really struggling to get to it this year. Evrything is telling me to give up untill kids are older and time is more, but I am worried I will never get back into it..................

alancas

• Experienced Member
Re: on verge of giving up....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 13:03 »
i found if i took my grandson aged three with me just for an hour its surprising what you can get done while they are watering the weeds etc.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 13:35 »
Evrything is telling me to give up untill kids are older and time is more, but I am worried I will never get back into it..................

That's what we did. 

You WILL get back into it if it is something that you really want to do.  Keep your eye on the waiting lists so that you can put your name down when you think time is beginning to ease up.

It's a difficult decision to make but rushing around like mad and feeling your failing at some things is not good for you !  Chill a bit and enjoy your children while they are young.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 14:41 »
If you're not finding the time to enjoy it, perhaps you're right.

Do the children find it interesting if you take them down?

It has been a particularly hard year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 22:25 »
Evrything is telling me to give up untill kids are older and time is more, but I am worried I will never get back into it..................

That's what we did. 

You WILL get back into it if it is something that you really want to do.  Keep your eye on the waiting lists so that you can put your name down when you think time is beginning to ease up.

It's a difficult decision to make but rushing around like mad and feeling your failing at some things is not good for you !  Chill a bit and enjoy your children while they are young.

I couldn't agree more I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and gave up my plot don't regret it one bit i carried on gowing in containers and the elderly next door neighbours garden as he had raised beds already set up but after a stroke couldn't look after them, I have a new plot now which is closer to home (by 6 miles) and it's still hard work with 3 kids under 7 and  working full time, I might have the best weeds on site but I still put all the veg on the table today for Sunday dinner cauli, cabbage, carrots, sugar snap peas and spuds roast and new  :)) Don't give up just maybe grow more fruit (if your kids are anything like mine they'll love it) to take up a bit of room, grow some  more spuds, if you can keep it, but if it is interfering with home life give it up for now.
Faff free zone!

utigers

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:03 »
I have just got my plot 6years of waiting, my life has moved on since then and I have a 3yr old and a 2 week old now! And a plot which is like a jungle and needs clearing.  As someone else has said take the kids with you its amazing what tasks they can do, picking Strawbs/Rasbs bit of digging, seeing the chickens nextdoor, messing with the water, looking for worms.  I can get an hour from this and maybe in the future they can have a bed to look after and plant seeds etc.....

You could go halves with someone or just change what you grow and make it a bit more low maintenace?

Countryman_uk

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:50 »
I wouldnt give it up i would just change the way i garden, i have too plots about a mile apart , so they take up a lot of my time, i have tirn one into a raised bed garden which makes it a lot easier for me i can just go up for an hour nad do a few boxes

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 19:59 »
Hey everyone, apologies for being absent and not replying. I have decided (with your words of wisdom) to keep our plot, my wife has been a star and mucked in to help restore a sense of order! We've got the kids involved and i will be putting in some raised beds this year which should take the pressure off. And since my last post we've harvested 50 onions, loads of rhubarb, broad beans and potatoes!             Cheers everyone!!!!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 20:59 »
Glad things are better for you
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 21:30 »
Excellent  :D

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 23:07 »
Excellent getting the whole family involved is what makes tomorrow's gardeners well done and I wish you all well. John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

xx
On the verge of giving it up....

Started by symonep on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 22:24
by symonep
clip
Not giving up!

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 01:13
by Subversive_plot
xx
On not giving up too soon...

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 08:55
by AnneB
sad
Giving up

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 37 queries.