Newby Chicken/Duck

• 28 Replies

Casey76

Re: Newby Chicken/Duck
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 08:30 »
Are you going to have a separate run for the chickens in your garden.  The meshed ares provided with the coop isn't big enough for three chicken to live in permanently. :(

I don't know much about ducks, as I've never kept them, but I do know that:
*they are housed separately from chickens, because, as stated, ducks don't perch, so can get pooped on if the chickens perch above them

*need permanent water in their run, such as a small rigid paddling pool or oversized washing up bowl so they can dabble.  They need this to wash their eyes frequently otherwise they are prone to infections.  This water has to be kept clean

*are very smelly.  duck poo is much more liquid than chicken poo, and can't be "poo picked" like chickens.  So unless youhave a large area, you might have to wash the grass every day or so.

As you are new to poultry keeping, personally I would recommend you get three hybrid chickens to start with.  Hybrids now come in various colours, and you aren't limited to boring brown eggs either.

Dagi

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 22:39 »
oh yes, we are adding additional run space for the chickens - I agree that despite the coop being designed for 6 chickens the run space is limited so we're adding some on to it. The ducks, unfortunately will have to wait till we have ourselves set a bit more and can take on the additional responsibility and care!

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 00:58 »
Hi welcome. Im fairly new to keeping chicken and trust me they have bags of character. I have 4 hybrids all different colours and personality. And dont think all is lost yet mine absolutely love slugs and snails.

Dagi

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 20:30 »
Good to know that some will take care of the slugs! Used to live in Devon - miss it all the time!

cheekychick22

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 21:24 »
Chooks are real big characters ive got 8 altogetherive a black rock two legbars a silkie an amber a gold crested appenzeller two leghorns. they are all crazy. tjey all do things to make me laugh they all follow me around the garden. if i go into the shed they start making a racket cause they know thats where all thier treats are kept.

Dagi

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34 »
ok - so chooks here and have started new questions on them!

1. We let them out to free range a bit - supervised for the moment as they're still new and we want to watch where they go but we have thought about putting a run a bit further out for them but not necessarily alway attached to their current coop/run (so a corral). So I am looking for a mobile sort of thing and know about omlet's products, are there any other suggestions out there...not looking for more expensive options as we want to keep a bit of a budget so omlet price or less would be what we're looking for.

2. Omnivores - the chickens seem to like their feed and some feed that has corn in it (big treat for them!) but much else seems limited. I've brought them fruit home, like strawbs, melon, mango - and they pick at it a bit but mostly it goes to waste. We've tried to give them worms from the garden, snails, slugs - they - may - poke it a bit but then that's it too. So I want them to have a good well rounded natural diet that hopefully includes something other than just feed but can't seem to entice them with much else. Any suggestions? Any ways in which to coerce them to eat something else (oher than starvation tactics)?

Thanks for the help!

kegs

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53 »
You can't get away with it that easily.... if you've now got your chickens we need photos and lots of them!!  ;)

Obviously you'll have read that you're not allowed to give them any food that has passed through the kitchen (DEFRA rules) but try them with some corn on the cob (and apple) and your chickens will love you forever.  Most like cabbage and most green veg (not mine who are fussy and won't touch anything green).  Mine don't like the huge garden worms but they love the small ones from the compost.  So, it's a bit like people really, they have their likes and dislikes and you'll just have to keep trying yours with different things so see which they prefer.

As for the run, you could make your own which might work out cheaper and if you do then the half inch by 1" Aviary mesh from Hills is the best quality/value around.  http://www.hillsofdevon.co.uk/aviary-mesh.html

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 11:54 »
If your chooks are point of lay they are still maturing and testing out new foods. Whilst it is good that they eat slugs and snails you need to be aware that they often carry worms so will need to factor this in to your worming regime.

You should find that they start to take bits of fruit and veg but sometimes need to acquire a taste for it. Sometimes they never eat certain things such as lettuce. If they are free ranging and have plenty of grass they should be able to get a good natural diet.

Their main food should always be layers pellets or mash as this is a balanced food providing them with everything they need. Too many titbits will make them fat and possibly fussy with their food - then they will train you to give more titbits. They can live on a diet purely of layers.

Do make sure they also have access to grit and oyster shell.

And enjoy! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Dagi

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 22:42 »
Here are our beautiful girls, Amber, Ginger and Belle - guess which is which! :D
Coop 015.jpg
Coop 017.jpg
Coop 026.jpg

Dagi

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 00:37 »
Thanks for the info too - good to hear that they could get variety in their diet with age and exposure...it's nice to bring them home treats or have them be little bug catchers in the garden. All the food is just fresh fruit, which wouldn't be something they couldn't eat quite naturally in the outdoors and we did get them grit - it is best to mix it in with their feed or as I find when we throw it on the ground, it seems to get lost in the grass and they aren't interested (maybe they eat it later??)

They had their first dust bath today - well the first one I've ever seen. We're re-doing the garden a bit and moved some trees and bushes which exposed lots of dirt and they had a ball with that. It was so fun to watch them  :) And they're so good about going to bed - never have to ensourage them as they go into their coop pretty much same time every night on their own. They seem to like the nesting boxes and not so much roosting. Our Ginger will generally squeeze herself in with one of the others into one nesting box - despite the fact that there are 3 boxes giving each of them their own!  ::)

kegs

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 15:07 »
Attach a little pot to their coop and put the grit and oyster shell in there, then they'll help themselves when they need it.

You might want to try to train them not to sleep in the nest box as when they start laying you wont want any mucky eggs!   ;)

Lovely girls too.

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 16:46 »
I'd say just go for it, asl ong as you know how to care for chooks and ducks, do it.
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

Dagi

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 17:46 »
How do you stop them from sleeping in their nest boxes?

Also have you heard of Rengency Poultry? They seem to have netting - good for electic nets, though we may not envoke that aspect immediately - which is about half the price of omlet's non-electric nets. They get good ratings on e-bay but I thought I'd ask my chicken friends on the forum if they know of their reputation.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 20:48 »
to stop them using the nest boxes you can either block the nest boxes off at night or after they have gone to bed gently lift them out and place them on their perches. You may have to do this for quite a few nights until they get the hang of it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
A newby Chicken owner saying Hello

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 19:54
by cbv8
question
What came first the chicken or the duck?

Started by ynysmonron on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 13:00
by joyfull
question
Duck Killing Chicken

Started by Prod on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 17:20
by joyfull
xx
Help- duck attacking chicken!

Started by pink aubergine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 19:54
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.