What's the latest you can get away with planting out leeks?

• 9 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
My pot of leeks sits there in my cold frame looking at me, but the ground is so wet right now that I don't want to walk all over it to plant them out. How late can I plant them out and still get a decent crop?

Nikkithefoot

Re: What's the latest you can get away with planting out leeks?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 14:44 »
I'm in a similar position. I'm going to pot them on into more compost to keep them growing, then if it ever stops raining then I'll plant them out.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 15:41 »
I actually had a sunny day - ooh! :D I needed to plant my leeks out (potted on twice), though I couldn't find my dibber, so used a bit of 2"x 4" and wiggled it around - needs must. I cut off the roots to about 4" according to RHS book which I have never done before, but they went in the holes very well. Despite one of my cats running away with one of them (little tinker), they are all in and watered. I have some trial ones from DTB which are far behind, though sown at the same time, and they were been potted on 2 weeks ago, so they will go in a bit later on. I hope we get leeks throughout winter - 'cos I luv'em!!!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 16:07 »
My first sowing got dibbed in today in the garden beds. The others are waiting to go on the allotment. I think I'll need to stand on a board to plant them  ::)

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 16:21 »
Weather like this is where no-walk beds with narrow paths alongside come into their own.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 16:54 »
I have not yet been able to get my leeks in either. The weather has prevented me from weeding the area let alone plant them out. :(

I am planing to split mine and pot them individually and hope that I can then transplant them at the allotment as soon as possible.

I dont think its too late to plant out, at the end of the day they are going to grow on or they wont. If you plant them out then you have more chance than if you dont. The weathers so topsie turvey that I dont think the plants even know what or when they are supposed to be doing ;)   

DoubleDigger

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 22:57 »
I should think it depends on the variety ? There are early, late, late-late & over winter leeks. 
Some are March sown, some as late as July, for standing over winter.

On those grounds.....it may be just right, depending on the variety ?  All depends how well the variety "stands" the cold.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:46 »
Weather like this is where no-walk beds with narrow paths alongside come into their own.

Absolutely Kirpi!

We won't go back to long rows again!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 14:32 »
Mine haven't gone in yet, I am waiting for the potatoes to mature before I can put them in.  I am hoping they will catch up.  It's a quandary and the only alternative bed I could use is the garlic bed which I am concerned will cause me problems.  So, they will have to stay put until I can plant them on.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 15:06 »
In the end I chucked mine in yesterday. I stood on a board to try to minimise any compacting and crossed my fingers they wouldn't drown.

xx
Planting leeks.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 13:11
by Goosegirl
xx
Help with planting out leeks

Started by Nikkicola on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 22:24
by Nikkicola
xx
Planting out leeks

Started by jerrynl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 14:43
by jerrynl
xx
planting out leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 12:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.023 seconds with 38 queries.