Stark comparison

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Stark comparison
« on: July 06, 2012, 19:39 »
On the same day in May I planted 20 identical sweetcorn seedlings in an open bed and 20 in my polytunnel. The ones in the tunnel are flowering and at roof height (about 8ft) The ones in an adjacent open bed (in full sun if we had any) are barely 10 inches high

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Re: Stark comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 22:30 »
my sweetcorn is about 10 inches too.
Very annoying considering how much room they take up. Although the courgettes I have planted around them are thriving.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 23:12 »
I've been growing stuff for a lot of years and I'd say this one is going to go down as a real stinker. I've no idea what stage things are at out on the plot. There are flowers on first early spuds and on maincrops planted later, broad beans four feet high with no pods, onions all flopped over and looking ready to lift, shallots bolted, no sign of fruit on the rasps.....talk about a challenge!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 14:18 »
Challenge is the key word in gardening. Nature never lets us get complacent so we must always be ready to adapt regardless, often quickly, of what always worked in previous years. My weather is the exact opposite, very hot and extremely dry, and crops that decided to sprout are at least 2 weeks early with lower yields.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 16:15 »
I've been growing stuff for a lot of years and I'd say this one is going to go down as a real stinker. I've no idea what stage things are at out on the plot. There are flowers on first early spuds and on maincrops planted later, broad beans four feet high with no pods, onions all flopped over and looking ready to lift, shallots bolted, no sign of fruit on the rasps.....talk about a challenge!
I've been growing stuff since we came to Cumbria 41 years ago and this is the worst I can remember. Spuds seem to have rotted off through being waterlogged. I dug some up for tonight's meal and tubers look free from blight but as the tops are gone, they'll get no bigger than they are at present - about 2" long. All the brassicas have rotted off through standing in water. Very few pods on broadbeans and no flowers on runners yet

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 17:54 »
Boy did I choose a bad year to grow peppers for the first time! The only ones doing well are the ones in the front room!!!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 18:03 »
The only good thing about this summer is that I haven't even seen a wasp yet, let alone got the multiple stings that I've had for the last few years

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 21:35 »
My outdoor sweetcorn are the same sulking at around a foot high, turnips, radish and everything brassica is bolting at a speed Usain can only dream of, outdoor toms just flowering. But good 1st early spuds, onions, peas and beetroot plus hoping for good things from root stuff like snips and carrots. Beans slowly meandering up canes. Yet to see either a wasp or the dreaded CWB (Cabbage White Butterfly).
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

clip
three kales comparison

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 20:50
by Madame Cholet
clip
Soil test comparison

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2018, 12:39
by mrs bouquet
xx
Potato Planting Comparison

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 17:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Runner / French Bean Comparison

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 20:04
by Lottiman

Page created in 1.231 seconds with 36 queries.