Split wing in 3wk old chick

• 3 Replies

kegs

Split wing in 3wk old chick
« on: July 04, 2012, 14:59 »
One of my 3 week old chicks has (what I've just discovered is called) Split Wing.  One wing is missing the Axial feathers between the primary and secondary leaving just a gap (will add photos later).  The chick is either a Welsh Black (which is an Australorp Indian Game X) or a Jersey Giant (not sure which at the moment as they look so similar!). 

Whatever breed it is, neither will be for showing, but can anyone give me more info on Split Wing please.  Does it cause problems when the chick's older?  Do the Axials grow back? Is it a genetic fault or did I do something wrong during incubation?

Thanks.

Casey76

Re: Split wing in 3wk old chick
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:45 »
It seems to be genetic, so no breeding from it ;)  It doesn't harm the chicken in any way, but they are much less likely to fly - though if it is a JG, not much flying goes on there anyway lol!

As far as I'm aware the axial feathers don't grow, but normally you can't tell there is anything wrong until the chicken has a stretch and spreads it's wings out.

I've grown on several chicks which had split wing to various degrees (some feathers missing entorely, some where the axials grew in twisted), and they never had any other feather problems growing up (and they were all tasty)  But I ensured I never bred from them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 20:19 »
Never heard of this kegs, thanks for the info.  Look forward to seeing the photos and glad it will not affect the bird.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43 »
Rubbish pic as he/she was a wriggly little thing.  :nowink:
P1040122.JPG
P1040118.JPG

xx
Chick with broken wing

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 14:22
by joyfull
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
Split run

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 17:16
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 37 queries.