Condensation / mildew in the greenhouse

• 5 Replies

Yana

Condensation / mildew in the greenhouse
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:29 »
Ive just read the Allotment Newsletter for July 2012 and it mentions the issue of mildew in the greenhouse.
There in lies the conundrum...... the greenhouse needs to be kept warm so the automatic vents do not open because the temperature is not high enough ...... because the vents do not open, condensation builds up ......
I have made a 'false door' for each of my two greenhouses and covered with wire netting to use when the temperature gets too high in the greenhouse so I can slide the glazed door open and the 'false door' closes over the gap.
Should i be using this door now to ensure good air flow (temperature will drop) or reset ths automatic vents to open at a lower temperature?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Condensation / mildew in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03 »
Weather conditions are making it very difficult to find the right balance, exactly for the reasons you describe.

My greenhouse is misted up every morning but with slightly warmer temperatures and the occasionaly glimpse of sunshine the autovent usually opens just enough to let the condensation out with the door completely shut.

On really dull wet days it struggles to open even that much, but I doubt whether opening the door would make much difference in such conditions.

I seem to be just about getting away with it at the moment, although there is a lot of finger-crossing going on because although still healthy all the stuff in there needs more sunshine (don't we all?!)  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:17 »
Unless the forecast is for temps under about 12C at night I'm leaving the greenhouse door open a couple of inches..........I've had everything spoiled by botrytis in the past and don't want it happening again :ohmy:

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:23 »
my unheated greenhouse doors and windows have been open since April.  I have peppers and aubs in there, and apart from a bit of silvered leaf on the aub as I left it near the open door, things are fine.

You can buy those cheapo solar fans from e bay which you can clip on at various places in the greenhouse if you want more air movement but if both doors are open you should get enough draught blowing through. 

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36 »

When I constructed the base to my large greenhouse (actually two fish plated together),  I built a low wall of bricks (with holes in) and the holes were horizontal to allow adequate ventilation. 

I've had no problems with condensation and the windows are rarely opened.  Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yana

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:39 »
Thanks all.
Seems to be a combination of checking the night time temps and keeping an eye out.

xx
Mildew in the new greenhouse

Started by Bernard on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 16:57
by Bernard
xx
Condensation

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 18:59
by mumofstig
xx
condensation

Started by m1ckz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 08:47
by m1ckz
question
Condensation in tunnel

Started by HampshireHog on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post January 12, 2019, 13:26
by HampshireHog

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 41 queries.