Never thought I would......

• 6 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Never thought I would......
« on: July 03, 2012, 14:03 »
.....ever get on a horse again! For anyone who doesn't know, this one time competition groom and horse owner has arthritis in hand, hip, knee and foot. And when my old horse died six years ago  I thought that was that. We do have a horse now, but thanks to rough handling by several dealers, he is all but unrideable.....and certainly not by an arthritic overweight 52 year old or her novice husband.

However, a new horse has just arrived on the yard, an ex trekking horse, and is in Murphy's field.
This is Roxy with Murphy (though I am not sure why a shire cross has a rug on in the middle of "summer")

And her owner said I could have a go to see if I can get on. And I did! It wasn't elegant, but I did it (dreadful saddle didn't help) and very emotional I felt too, amazing. Luckily Roxy is not a plod so easy enough to get going, but safe and forgiving. Getting off was even worse than getting on, and trotting is not on, she throws you around a lot which really hurts my knees.

But I did it, and even have a photo, and I don't normally allow photos. Got a video too, and it was nice to see me relaxed on a horse.

Here's a photo.

Have to say she carried me well, despite the saddle being extremely heavy.

It may seem a bit of an odd thing to get excited about, but I am! :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Never thought I would......
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 14:42 »
Oh that must feel great! Well done you! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 14:51 »
Oh Tosca, that is great!  I love horses, but due to lack of money and opportunity the only time I rode a horse was 50 years ago when I was 11!

I too am overweight and arthritis similar to yours.  I would worry about any horse that I got on, if I ever get in a situation where I could.  I am so jealous!   :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 14:57 »
brilliant, so pleased for you  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 15:18 »
Nothing like an old thrill returning  :D Good for you, Tosca. Perhaps a bit more riding will help unstiffen some of those joints.  ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 16:03 »
Oh Tosca, that is great!  I love horses, but due to lack of money and opportunity the only time I rode a horse was 50 years ago when I was 11!

I too am overweight and arthritis similar to yours.  I would worry about any horse that I got on, if I ever get in a situation where I could.  I am so jealous!   :) :)

Even though this mare is half shire (as I believe Murphy might be) she is nowhere near the size of Murphy. But she carried me really well, really striding out when asked.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. We will definitely be looking into options, ie finding an experienced younger and sympathetic rider for Murphy, who is now being ridden a little by the yard owner. We know he is unsuitable for us, however much we love him, he has had some dreadful treatment about twelve months ago which has scarred him mentally. We would like something we could both potter about on.

Hey ho, plod on.......... :)

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 17:54 »
congratulations!  :D

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.