Poor show

• 5 Replies

wendycas

Poor show
« on: July 02, 2012, 22:44 »
Hi
We are suffering massively with this weather (as is the whole country) and we are getting very poor results with our peas (we've started some more off to try again), beetroot and cucumbers. Plus we still have things waiting to go out-sweetcorn and outdoor toms (not too hopeful about them surviving outside though!) as we have to do more digging and we can't get on the allotment to dig! If we do get some better weather in the autumn will the existing crops still come on or will it be too late? As the weather seems to be upside down will the plants change their growing times too.....? I've looked at the month by month guide but can that be adapted if weather conditions are different?  :wacko:
Cheers
Wendy

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Re: Poor show
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 22:46 »
Have you tried any of those plastic tunnel cloches...? I got some cheap, and they've kept off the worst of the rain (and hail!), and kept the plants a little bit warmer into the bargain...?

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 22:55 »
Hi Wendy I also live in co Durham .i put my outside toms out a couple of weeks ago not ideal conditions but they seem to be doing ok.
Peas have been planted  in two week intervals and doing great . Beet root poor this year but still sowinng .
Parsnips very slow ,but all my brassicas are doing well . Spuds are about a month behind ,turnips doing ok
As long as the soil stays dry for a couple of days try anything lots of stuff you can still plant .
Let's hope for a better second half to the year.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 23:01 »
I'd get things in sooner rather than later.  They won't thrive in their current small modules or pots (assumption made there, I know), and if you do leave it too long then there definitely won't be enough time for them to do anything.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wendycas

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 00:13 »
Hi guys
Thanks for the great advice and for giving some hope..!

Yes, I think we'll have to get some plastic cloches-that's a great idea.

Our winter onions were taken out last week so the toms can go there and that's good to know that they are surviving outside in County Durham at the minute!

Yes, our sweetcorn are still in modules-most of the toms in bigger pots-but you're right, they're starting to look a little jaded so just going to have to keep watching for a few hours of dry weather and then go for it!

Thanks again!

davel831

• i dont know evrything!! But can i learn
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26 »
tottally agree
                      this weather has put some crops back several weeks!! also some are so slow to start?

lets pray we have sun for july august and septmeber~?????

oh well dave
Dave

xx
Poor show with broccoli

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:21
by fatcat1955
xx
Poor show on Garlic

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 11:21
by gobs
xx
Poor show fruit trees

Started by soosywoosy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 19:20
by Christine
xx
show results 1st time in this show

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 14:56
by Noah'strolly

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 36 queries.