Hello there me lovelies! Long time no see and lots of questions...

• 1 Replies

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Well due to a very naughty hip that has been hurting like crazy  :mad: and causing me to be sent home from work  ::) I have had to miss going to the allotment for FIVE WHOLE WEEKS!!  It was actually at the allotment that I hurt it so I've now got to be careful, pfft!

Anyhow...we nipped down this evening and oh boy I LOVE what I saw!  Yeah it's over run with weeds to the point of it being lost in a jungle but the broad beans are ready (I think) gooseberries are ready (I think) some early potatoes have a couple of flowers on (ready??) strawberries and raspberries are about to BURST with fruit (must get them netted  ;) but...
I need to ask all my lovely knowledgeable pals on here some questions...are you ready?

If the goosberries are big are they ready to pick? I've never even eaten gooseberry before, I wonder what I can make with them. (no idea what variety)

Do I need to wait for lots of flowers on the spuds or just 1 to appear and the whole row will be ready?

The onions look in a bad way  :( some have broken stems, could this be the pesky wood pigeons and pheasants? Also, 2 I think have bolted. There is a little bud forming on a very advanced plant compared to the others. What would you do?

On another note, the sweetcorn, leeks, b.sprouts and the flowers are all looking fantastic!

The PSB has been munched. The squashes are ALL looking poor with yellow leaves and not a lot of growth and blooming heck weeds are HUGE! ha ha.

Sorry if this is too much to ask in one go. But I've missed you guys  :D

Hope you're all ok and bearing up. xx

Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hi Claire, welcome back!  Sorry to hear about the hip.  Hope you feel better soon!

The onions that are bolting I would pull up even if they are a bit small, although some people take teh flower bud off and leave the onion in.

With the gooseberries, when my gooseberry actually had fruit on it, if they felt too hard, they were probably too sour to eat unless of course you are making a crumble, but I waited until the fruit was just beginning to soften a little, but again net the bushes or the birds will get them first!

With the potatoes, some people loosen the soil around a plant and have a little furtle to see if the spuds are big enough, but I just used to dig one up to see.  Some potatoes don't seem to get any flowers and others just have a few, so that isn't a good indication.

Its nice to see you are full of enthusiasm still!

Good luck with the rest of it! 

xx
Hello Everyone! It's been a very long time... Soil in raised bed questions

Started by gardgydja on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:01
by robinsnest
xx
Lots of questions

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 09:47
by JayG
xx
lots of questions

Started by wneva on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 09:29
by allotmentann
xx
Lots of rhubarb questions

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 13:55
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 36 queries.