On the verge of giving it up....

• 19 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
On the verge of giving it up....
« on: July 01, 2012, 20:28 »
Hi there, just looking for some tried and tested advise please. We have 3 plots which we have had for 4 years now, we have a huge problem with weeds. I can weed one bed and the very next week they are all back.
What I wanted to know is does anyone use a weed killer that is safe on veggies etc? I would give up on the whole organic produce if it meant I didn't spend all weekend every weekend weeding. I am not enjoying it at all and the allotment is a chore now not a pleasure. We have a neighbour who has let half their allotment go to weed so I am guessing seeds etc are also being blown in from them.

We also have a massive problem with red ants and I have lost count over the amount of powders and sprays we have got through. They are nasty little * who not only eat the veg but eat me leaving me with huge red sores!

What do you use to keep weeds down? We have tried weed suppressor but the weeds just grow through it!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Kirpi

Re: On the verge of giving it up....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 20:49 »
Sounds like you've got too many plots.

Give two of your plots up to someone on the waiting list and you will have one plot to manage easier and actually enjoy and two other people will also be able to enjoy growing their own veg.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 20:55 »
Thanks for the suggestion, at the moment it isn't an option, we were told we had 2 plots until we cleared it all and then after 6 months they told us it was actually 3, by then we had invested time and money etc. 1 of the plots has fruit treed on it so it is only 2 plots that we have veggies and fruit growing so by getting rid of 1 we wouldn't be any better off. We will consider this but it will be a cost implication as we would have to fence 1 off and remove the shed etc

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 21:06 »
How about non-organic weedkiller (glysophate?) and some carpet over a portion of the plot so you can stop the weeds and not have to keep going over it? 
Try to tackle a bit at a time and just do what you can.  I know you've invested time and money, but to be so miserable because of the dreaded weeds is really going to make it a chore and not a pleasure.  :(

Avoid rotovators as they will chop up roots and you'll get lots more weeds... you'll have to cut out the light and food, so they can't grow...

Hope you can salvage something this year... chin up!  ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 21:15 »
Thanks chrysalis, just sitting here thinking about an area I don't weed as often and just remembered why, after we removed our crops last year I covered one area with carpet and then in February I took the carpet off and let the weeds grow and then weeded it and covered it over again and repeated and this area seems to have less weeds.
This year we have many more beds so I guess I notice it more ( my parents have also planted lots and haven't been down to help with any of it so I think I need to slap their wrists lol)

Any you saying about rotovators guess who's hubby got one this year and everything has been rootvated .......doh!
I think the phrase we only have ourselves to blame comes to mind. Hopefully next year we will get more on top of it!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 21:20 »
Please avoid carpets.  You have no idea what chemicals are leaching into the soil from either the components of the carpets or surface toxins.  They can disintegrate into the soil, polluting it for years, and weeds can grow through them - making them hazardous to try to remove.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 21:28 »
Thanks for the info Yorkie, do you recommend a certain type of weed suppressor or would a thick plastic sheeting work as well? We used weed suppressor last year but he monster weeks just grew through it!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 21:29 »
Sorry but I agree with Kirpi and you have too much land to devote your time to.

Why have so many plots if you can't look after all of them?  I don't mean to be confrontational, I just wondered what reason you needed 3 plots for.

Su

SG6

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 21:29 »
I would suspect that until you get on top of the weeds then you are stuck. To get on top will mean something like a glysophate weed killer. I would also say you will need to have one good spray, wait 2-3 weeks and then do it again for whatever else has appeared.

Any weed killer will kill any veg it comes into contact with, they are not selective. So make the choice about spraying. It ain't organic, however it is effective, watch any over spray as other allotment holders will blame you for anything that dies, also avoid the fryuit trees/bushes you have, it won't do them any good.

No idea about the ants, would have thought that a fork in the nest and turn it over as a clod of earth would have taken care of any.

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 21:35 »
Please avoid carpets.  You have no idea what chemicals are leaching into the soil from either the components of the carpets or surface toxins.  They can disintegrate into the soil, polluting it for years, and weeds can grow through them - making them hazardous to try to remove.

Good point! Sorry!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 21:38 »
Sorry but I agree with Kirpi and you have too much land to devote your time to.

Why have so many plots if you can't look after all of them?  I don't mean to be confrontational, I just wondered what reason you needed 3 plots for.

Su

As I said above, we thought we were getting 2 plots until we cleared it and then after we had spent money and time clearing, making boxes etc we were told we had 3. I haven't said we can't look after them I said it is becoming a real struggle to get on top of. It will in effect cost us more to split the 3 plots to give one back. One plot has apple, pear, plum and cherry trees on so in effect we have to plots to work.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 21:45 »
you can try using distilled white vinegar at the ant nest source but bare in mind it will alter the pH of the soil in that section of the soil. for weeds you can try using weedkiller or dig them up section at a time but if the plots are too much to handle then best to give them up if you can and make do with a plot you can manage and enjoy

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 21:50 »
A lot depends on the weed suppressant fabric you are using.  The cheap stuff can fray and tear and weeds will grow through it, but stuff like terram is stronger and holds them out much better.

Spun rather than woven I think people have been saying on previous threads.

I do have some black plastic on a bit of my veg patch that has very bad thistle growing in it.  I've covered it with the plastic, but that doesn't let water through either, if that is okay with you.  on top of it, I've got some old paving slabs helping to hold it down, plus the plastic is dug into the soil on the outside edges and I've got big pots on it too with bush tomatoes, spring onions and some carrots in.

So I can still grow stuff there, while hopefully the darkness will help kill of the thistle.

Kirpi

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 21:52 »
Here's an idea. You seem to be prepared to use non-organic weedkillers to control the weeds but something in you original post had me thinking you would really want to use natural methods.  I think you can turn this around to your advantage.

Have you thought of hoeing some of your area out and then sowing a green manure crop for a year while you concentrate on a smaller growing area. Then turn the green manure under to improve the soil there and grow on that piece of land next year and greem naure somewhere else until all weedy areas are under control.

Another idea is to use sheet composting or lasagne gardening. This is where you put down a thick cardboard or newspaper layer, followed by layers of compost and straw and lawn mowings and plant into the compost layer once it has cooked down a bit. The materials you put on top will have far less weeds in it and the ones you have will be supressed by the sheet compost. This works so long as the weeds you have are not too agressive and come up through your sheet compost.

Another idea still is that, to be almost self sufficient in compost it is thought that around 40% of your growing area should be devoted to green manure or composting bins. do you have enough compost bins?  How about devoting some of your land to a nice patch of Comfrey which you can cut and add to compost, make a nutrient feed tea or just top dress to your growing beds. I have a bed of stinging nettles I keep for compost as well.

You may find your weeds are your best asset to increasing the heart of your soil.

I would try these before you start using herbicides.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 21:52 »
I should say there are 4 of us on the plots but 1 is always busy digging new beds, mowing and strumming and the other 2 need a telling off as they are not there much hence why I am finding it overwearming.....now if I were to win the lottery I could give up work and spend my days down there! Oh to dream. I guess the weather hasn't helped as it has meant we haven't been able to get down as much as we want to.....guess I should give up moaning and just get on with it.

Thanks grannieannie, if oly the veggies grew like the weeds do, we wouldn't never go hungry!

We will see how the next 2 months go as we would have to give notice on 1 plot by the end of september so have a few more months to either turn it around or plan to give one up. Thanks for all you advise

xx
on verge of giving up....

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 23:07
by Plot74
clip
Not giving up!

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 01:13
by Subversive_plot
xx
On not giving up too soon...

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 08:55
by AnneB
sad
Giving up

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 36 queries.