cheap versus dear

• 33 Replies

Countryman_uk

Re: cheap versus dear
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 06:10 »
i tend to buy all  my seeds of ebay, get a great chocie and most are 99p inc postage , never had aproblem with them,as for onions, i buy froma a local hardware shop aways been good

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 13:23 »
I too was disappointed at the number of F1 seeds in a packet.

This year for the first time I started off one plant of Sungold very early, mollycoddled it and rooted all its sideshoots. It was much easier than I expected and gave me 4-5 plants for one seed. Will definitely be doing it again.

Rooting tomato plant side shoots is a real doddle isn't it.  :) Well worth doing if you want more plants.

What?? Tell me more please.....

All I did was let them grow a bit longer than normal, snap them off and put them in a jar of water, left it in the shade and kept it topped up. I know some people put them straight into compost but I wanted to see what was happening.

As well as the 'normal' size ones I also tried it with some of the ones that got away - you know, the side shoots that hide for days and then go 'hahaha I'm a foot long already'. I thought they'd have too much foliage to root but not a bit of it, they're big sturdy plants now.

Goldfinger

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 19:45 »
I too was disappointed at the number of F1 seeds in a packet.

This year for the first time I started off one plant of Sungold very early, mollycoddled it and rooted all its sideshoots. It was much easier than I expected and gave me 4-5 plants for one seed. Will definitely be doing it again.

Rooting tomato plant side shoots is a real doddle isn't it.  :) Well worth doing if you want more plants.

What?? Tell me more please.....

All I did was let them grow a bit longer than normal, snap them off and put them in a jar of water, left it in the shade and kept it topped up. I know some people put them straight into compost but I wanted to see what was happening.

As well as the 'normal' size ones I also tried it with some of the ones that got away - you know, the side shoots that hide for days and then go 'hahaha I'm a foot long already'. I thought they'd have too much foliage to root but not a bit of it, they're big sturdy plants now.

As simple as that!! ??

I'll remember that thanks.  ;)

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 21:30 »
I think if you just want a few of the older non f1 seeds then the cheapies are fine I tend to buy a mixture but look out for the end of season sales in the garden centres and get the later hybrids or f1 seeds
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
weed versus onions etc

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 23:03
by Trillium
xx
Rotavating versus digging

Started by ChickenPie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 13:46
by ChickenPie
xx
Allotment versus Home Alone....

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2007, 14:26
by beansticks

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 37 queries.