cheap versus dear

• 33 Replies

alancas

• Experienced Member
cheap versus dear
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:03 »
greetings,has any tried out cheaper seeda and onion sets against dearer varieties?just interested to know if dearer heated onion sets are better and veggie seeds from tesco etc against good branded names,thanks.

Edit title for clarity.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:08 by argyllie »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cheap verus dear
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:11 »
I've never planted the heat treated sets so can't comment.
I bought japanese onion sets from a reputable seed company and they still rotted over winter ::)

The seeds from Lidl, Aldi and the like are all as good as the expensive brands IMO. However the choice is usually very limited and you generally get fewer in the packets.

Kleftiwallah

Re: cheap versus dear
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:04 »

I'm always willing to pay 98p for a duplicate packet of seeds rather than £3:99.  ::)

Variety doesn't matter.

Cheers,    Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Paul Plots

Re: cheap verus dear
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:04 »
I've never planted the heat treated sets so can't comment.
I bought japanese onion sets from a reputable seed company and they still rotted over winter ::)

The seeds from Lidl, Aldi and the like are all as good as the expensive brands IMO. However the choice is usually very limited and you generally get fewer in the packets.

I agree with you about cheaper seeds from supermarkets. They seem fine but limited in range - the big difference is (as you say) far fewer seeds in the packet. That works out well if you only need a few.

Quality wise? Not sure.  :unsure:

Heat-treated sets... usually too dear for me so I risk it with the run of the mill and usually they do well.

Am I right in thinking heat treating reduces the likelihood of bolting?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10 »

Whether you buy cheap or expensive seeds, either way, you're bound to lose some to non-germination or rotting etc.

I think with seeds etc, quality control is limited to a 'visual inspection', not like something mechanical that can be tested.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:14 »
I've found no difference in quality between seeds branded 'Wilko's' as opposed to 'Suttons' for example, (other suppliers are available ::)) and I generally find that the fewer number of seeds is a bonus to me because I don't like wasting seeds.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 12:17 »
I've found no difference in quality between seeds branded 'Wilko's' as opposed to 'Suttons' for example, (other suppliers are available ::)) and I generally find that the fewer number of seeds is a bonus to me because I don't like wasting seeds.

But I am soooo mean I keep them over for the following year (unless it's parsnip of course  ;) )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:35 »

Variety doesn't matter.

I think It makes a lot of difference  ::)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40 »
My cheap Aldi seeds seems to be doing just fine... Esp the basil and parsley. Spring onions and carrots ok too.  But then I've not done a direct comparison. Fewer seeds is a bonus to me as I only plant a few of each thing, I've bought child versions of things for the same reason too...

H  :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48 »
I was doing my shopping in the store-that-shall-remain-nameless the other day and looked at their seed display - I'm not paying £3.99 for a handful of carrot seeds!

I was shocked at the cost of the packets, but then people who don't know any better (and presumably have money to burn) would pay the price asked :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:58 »
Horses for courses  ;)
For stuff like carrots and spring cabbages, I think the cheapies are fine.....but I'm a bit more fussy, so pay more, when it comes to things like tomatoes and peas.
Then, once you've grown them, you don't buy seeds again anyway. You save them, it's so easy to do :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 13:19 »
Horses for courses  ;)
For stuff like carrots and spring cabbages, I think the cheapies are fine.....but I'm a bit more fussy, so pay more, when it comes to things like tomatoes and peas.
Then, once you've grown them, you don't buy seeds again anyway. You save them, it's so easy to do :)

Are you able to successfully save seed from tomatoes?

Reason for asking is that we love Sungold F1 but I'm not so sure that seed saving is possible with these (he says showing his ignorance... again).

We often have tomatoes germinating in the flower bed from compost heap mulch but suspect these are from gardeners delight and similar.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 13:21 »
But then what is expensive, when you compare it to how much you would pay for the equivalent tasteless carrots for example, were you to buy them ready grown for you.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 13:32 »
I got some banana shallot sets from Wilko and everyone rotted

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 13:38 »
Horses for courses  ;)

Are you able to successfully save seed from tomatoes?

Reason for asking is that we love Sungold F1 but I'm not so sure that seed saving is possible with these (he says showing his ignorance... again).

We often have tomatoes germinating in the flower bed from compost heap mulch but suspect these are from gardeners delight and similar.

The problem with the F1 varieties Paul, is that they don't usually grow true to type.  They could be a mixture of any of the varieties that went into the hyrbridisation or whatever they call it.

BUT, saying that, I would save a few and try it.  About 5 years ago I bought a packet of Floridity.  The catalogue didn't say they were F1, so I saved some seeds.  When I sowed them the following year they grew bigger than the originals, but they were still lovely, so I still save some each year, even though I now know they were F1.

Sometimes they grow bigger, sometimes they grow smaller than the originals, but I still like them and still grow them.

Try them and see what you get.  They may even be better! xx

xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
celery versus celeriac

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 17:30
by Nobbie
xx
Manure versus compost...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 13:55
by surbie100
xx
weed versus onions etc

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 23:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 38 queries.