food processors

• 26 Replies

irot

• Oishi Bakery
Re: food processors
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 21:54 »
You're right, a North American one wouldn't work in the UK because our plugs are different as well as the electrical power amounts in our lines.

I bought adeydrator from the USA and had to use a transformer with I lucky oh works on the local USA base.

Yeah, we have a couple of transformers (hubby collects Japanese arcade machines) so the voltage is not too much of a problem.  I think they actually changed the shape of the attachments and how they fit to the processors and mixers so people couldn't buy them up cheap :(

Willow_Warren

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 17:18 »
I have a Kenwood Chef (and a fairly basic one at that!), I was going to say mine is quite new but I have just realised how old I am and in actual fact mine is about 15 years old  ???

I bought my mum one for Christmas (her's is dishwasher proof!!).

I chose a Kenwood partly because they are cheaper and perfectly good, and I get fed up of people saying how wonderfull a Kitchen Aid is and how is it better than anything else on the planet (you'd think it didn the vacummind and ironing as well) - when I mention I have a Kenwood and it's just as good I get snubbed (or just ignored as I'm not part of the "gang")!  So I'm sticking to my Kenwood with pride!

Disclaimer: (there is nothing of course wrong with a KitchenAid... or those who own them)

Hannah

lizt

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 21:48 »
thanks everyone, i have decided i want a Kenwood Multi-Pro FP920.... when i have enough pennys,

i am thinking it will fit nicely on kitchen work top and when my 'little helper' comes she should be able to see whats going on and get to turn it on and off for granny. (the things you do)

i would love one of the more expensive ones but my pockets are not that deep... lol

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 14:01 »
Years ago I had a food processor and I chucked it out because it took up a lot of space, I rarely used it and it was a pain to clean. However, my Panasonic breadmaker needs a new bread pan because it's no longer non-stick and I'm fed up of peeling the dough off it. I no longer bake the bread in the machine but just use it to make the dough. Given the price of a new bread pan and the huge size of the machine  on my worktop, I'm now wondering whether it wouldn't be better to put that money toward a new food processor and chuck out the breadmaker. No way would I be tempted to spend in excess of £500 for a food processor, but one of the cheaper ones, if it had a dough hook, would take up less space and do other jobs besides kneading the dough for me. It would probably cost less than 2hrs 20min of electricity to make the dough too :)

If a food processor can knead my bread and pizza dough, make pastry, grate cheese and carrots and chop onions and other veg without blitzing them to liquid and with reasonable control of chopped size, then it would get rid of some of my least liked kitchen jobs. I've got a good little hand blender I use for making soup, so I wouldn't use it for that. And if I can chuck the bits in the dishwasher that would make it a lot more appealing. And that FP920 can be bought for not much more than a new bread pan. Could it do all those jobs?

Trillium

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 15:02 »
from personal experience, I found food processors were not able to take the wear of bread dough over time. I could do the occasional small batch of pizza dough, but I literally wore out several of the main shafts or whatever they're called and eventually the company stopped making the processor and parts, so I had to chuck it.  :( My sister has the larger Kitchen Aid mixer with dough hook and she made so much bread in it that eventually she wore out the motor. Fortunately our dad could repair it for her.

If you want a super cheap price and no mechanical breakdown, learn to knead your dough. It's not at all hard and quite satisfying once you master it  ;) Lots of how-to's on youtube.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 16:35 »
I can knead dough but I just don't have to time to do it every day, and nor can I count on being around to move things on when it needs to be proved or rested. Chucking the ingredients into a machine is a lot faster and I can just leave it working while I get back to work. It does seem silly that they make dough hooks for the processors if they're not sturdy enough to cope with the workload of doing it. But that being the case, I can pick up a small breadmaking machine for less than the price of replacing the Panasonic bread pan, and when you're only using it to knead the dough I guess any breadmaker is as good as another.

lizt

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 21:03 »
unfortunately i can not do a lot knead/chopping/whisking or mixing by hand so i like having a processor/mixer to take that strain out off baking for me.

i really appreciate all your input it is a big help.  :D

lizt

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 21:12 »
the fp920 has a 1kw motor so hoping it would be powerful enough to cope with the demands of a crazed baking frenzy! lol

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 13:49 »
Just took delivery of a Grundig stand mixer which I believe is made in the same factory as the kitchen aid....it certainly looks very very alike but was less than £150.00. I think Ive got 30 days to try it out and if its not good enough its going back!  ;)
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 13:56 »
Do remember to keep us informed of how it goes. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Plottered

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 14:07 »
Well its out of the box and ive a bread mix ready to go in....fingers crossed now  :)

Plottered

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 16:57 »
mmm quite impressed really...knocked up a loaf of bread quite easily followed by some short crust pastry for cheese and onion pie tonight. Its slightly on the noisy side but I can put up with that. Its very stable on the worktop with no moving about at all.

Just need some nice recipes now....anyone got any?

also just realised this has a 3 year guarantee with it, I think thats a good buy.  :)

xx
Food Mixer

Started by Eblana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 16:57
by joyfull
xx
Preserving Food

Started by lesley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 19:32
by Trillium
xx
Food colourant?

Started by Goldfinger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 16:22
by arugula
xx
Food dryer

Started by Jerry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 25, 2006, 08:53
by John

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 27 queries.