sexing chickens reliably, can you help me? Pics.

• 23 Replies

rosie14

sexing chickens reliably, can you help me? Pics.
« on: June 29, 2012, 18:43 »
Hi well my little Pekins are now 6 weeks old and adorable. They were literally the same until about 4 weeks of age, now they are seemingly at different stages of feathering up and one smaller. The thing is they all have a little red combs and small wattles.

Whilst I think they are all the same sex I don't know which as some pictures of Pekin hens I have seen have large combs some smaller and I can't determine which at this stage!

How long in reality until I can expect one to crow (if it/they are boys? Will attatch some pics.but they were taken at 5.5 weeks.

Casey76

Re: sexing chickens reliably, can you help me? Pics.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 19:34 »
That looks like 3 cockerels to me.

Adult pekin hens have very small and neat combs very close to their heads, and probably not much bigger than in those photos now ;)

Cockerels usually crow from about 10 weeks, though I had two who never crowed before they were dispatched at 36 weeks!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 19:46 »
I'm inclined to agree that they are possibly all boys (well at least the 2 on the right are judging by their combs and the thickness of their legs).
Staffies are softer than you think.

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 20:44 »
I will firstly say thanks but really I'd like to swear lol! Oh no my poor little 3  :( what will become of them?

My next post will be who would like a pekin cock or 2 or 3?! lol! Oh well, I bet the 2 that passed away were girls  ::)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 20:59 »
Could the one on the left be a girl, she/ he seems to have feathered up more than the other two??

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 21:58 »
here's hoping  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 23:09 »
My first thought were 3 boys, but if they do turn out to be cockerels, and you need to re-home them and decide to put them on here.  Put your rough location on our profile so people can see if you are near enough to them.

I hope you get at least 1 little girl, they are so sweet!!!!

rosie14

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 18:17 »
thanks GrannieAnnie that's really helpfull. I will get onto this on my profile but for anyone reading this now I am in Kent enquiries for kind and loving forever homes welcome else it's the pot  :ohmy:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 13:19 »
Hi Rosie, I would have to agree with the others, the one on the left could possibly be a girl looking at the low slung neck and feathers. But even looking at the tail feather I would say thats going to be a boy. Having said that pekins may develop quicker and so that may mean its difficult to tell. My 9-10week chicks of which 2 are cockerals havent crowed yet, im still wanting to believe they are just manly looking hens untill they crow.

I dont know about anyone else but I find the neck may give it away also, the ones with longer stretched necks which also tend to be the taller chicks tend to be males.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 16:44 »
my brahma and jersey growers are approximately 6 months old and none have crowed as yet. we have acquired one gorgeous adult brahma and he hardly ever crows!

i'm pretty sure i have 2 of each in the brahmas but still unsure of the jerseys. i think i have at least one girl and 3 boys -just not sure of the last one.

sometimes you can't even depend on the cock-a-doodle-do! really hope the lefty is a girly ;)
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

rosie14

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 20:59 »
thanks ladies  :) yes I am hoping so much for just one, one little Pekin please, oh, please lol!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 22:49 »
Hi again Rosie, it maybe best to take a couple more pics. It is difficult to tell from the one pic and I think we are all saying that you have one lady due to the angle of the chicks head facing the camera. If you get a mo and can post up more pics then we can all have another go at guess the hen :) Or you could wait a week and post another pic or two
Cheers
Nick

wildwitchy

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 01:19 »
looking at the combs n wattles i'd say boys. As for the pot - theres nothing on a pekin worth putting in the pot unless you want a meal of feathers n bones.

Why hatch out if not prepared for beautiful boys??????????:mad:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:14 »
the boys could be prepared as for spatchcock chicken where you have one per person (in Malta a restaurant we visit do a nice version with lime) so there would be enough meat on them if you could let them grow until they reach about 24 weeks old.
W/W the person didn't say she wasn't prepared for boys but was hoping for one girl  :)

rosie14

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 18:37 »
thanks again all. I will get some new photos on maybe tomorrow. They are certainly changing fast and feathering nicely now at 7 weeks. I am enclined to think boys but the lady whom I collected the eggs from said she was given a cockerel last year that turned out to be a hen lol and was also a Pekin!

Wild Witchy re this comment... 
'looking at the combs n wattles i'd say boys. As for the pot - theres nothing on a pekin worth putting in the pot unless you want a meal of feathers n bones.

Why hatch out if not prepared for beautiful boys??'

I'm not sure why you are mad at me, is it because I hatched knowing I am not able to keep the boys from a hatch should there be any?

xx
Any tips on sexing polish chicks? Now with pics

Started by ness on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 06:56
by ness
xx
sexing chickens

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 19:40
by daisy1990
xx
Sexing chickens

Started by michael85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 06:18
by Casey76
xx
Sexing Chickens

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 19:23
by muntjac

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 38 queries.