chicks due sunday- still unsure who to leave them with!

• 3 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
hi all.

Firstly sorry for ignoring your previous advice! I posted that I have 4 eggs and two hens that are broody and therefore sharing the sitting, you recommended that I move one hen andthe eggs - but a very busy husband has prevented building anything new. We have the materials now but I am not sure if it will be done before chicks arrive.

We have a large bantam hen and her daughter who has a small bantam father, because both hens think they are the "mother" because they are broody will they be more agressive towards each other to try and protect chicks? Or is it best to leave the eggs with the more experienced hen (i would think she would be more agressive than the daughter - just from the 1st introduction with our cockerel!)

I am not very bird confident and not sure how I would cope with fighting hens?

Currently we have a smallrabbit run type thing with a coop inside, this is just to protect them a little more from foxes as they are free roaming during the day. Ideally i wanted to keep the broody and her chicks in here but I have nowhere to put other hen and cockerel.

Help please! Day 21 is sunday, we may have the chance to put something together tomorrow!

Casey76

Re: chicks due sunday- still unsure who to leave them with!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 15:02 »
I know of hens who will happily share the mothering duties... unfortunately i also know of hens who became so aggressive they killed all of the chicks.

When I would probably to, is let the hens get on with it, however be prepared to rear the chicks inside with a brooder and heatlamp/electric hen if necessary.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41 »
Thanks Casey.

One chick was born saturday and they seem to be ok, there is still another 3 eggs under one hen, but they both seem fine with the one addition. The big hen hasnt been out much as i dont want to lift her, as i dont know where chick is.

The new coop has started to be built, so im hoping to move one hen and our cock in there shortly? or shall I just leave them for the mo, as I wont have to worry about intergrating them together in the future?

we had both hens sitting a while ago but nothing came, how long shall I leave it for the eggs to go over 21 days?

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 16:29 »
I'd leave it until about day 27 to be on the safe side :)

xx
Can you leave the chicks??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 00:05
by jack russell
xx
New Chicks when will mum leave them? + frontline?

Started by ganner on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 19:38
by ganner
xx
How old do chicks have to be to leave mum for good?

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 12:09
by ness
xx
When does a mother hen leave her chicks???

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 17:30
by Tazzy

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 37 queries.