Should I put a roof on my run? Fox proofing question

• 25 Replies

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Re: Should I put a roof on my run? Fox proofing question
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 15:00 »
Hope no one thinks I'm hijacking this post but just out of interest have many people tried using a heavy duty tarpaulin on the roof of the run using bungy cords?
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

splash101

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 15:03 »
Problem with tarpaulin, unless its supported well in a number of places, as asoon as it rains it will sag. Water is very heavy

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 16:09 »
Our run was never covered, we live I a semi rural place and never have had a visit from a fox but when we built the new run we made it fully fox proof as it gave us piece of mind if we were away and a secure place for the hens to roam about in, I know I would have been so upset if I hadn't done it and a fox strayed onto the garden
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 17:36 »
I think there is some netting available with very fine holes. I believe its used on fruit cages or wind breaks, so you could use that for covering the roof and water would drain through. I personally wouldnt be happy unless it was mesh as it may offer an oppurtunity for Mr Fox.

Interestingly I have recently heard alot more fox activity around our house inbetween 8-10.30pm. I have a feeling we are possibly being stalked by Mr Fox which I read they can do. They look for patterns in the times you put your chickens away and try to take advantage of that fact. I put the chicks away between these times depending on the weather. They are in a barn at night and the small run during the day. Below are some pics of the bigger run I am building. You can also see in one of those pics the netting I just mentioned in regards to Hen1-Fox0's post.

:)

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 19:55 »
Love your run, hope the chicken wire is strong enough to keep the fox out... Would have been expensive to use weldmesh for all that! Regards the tarpaulin it would be sloped, so wouldn't gather rain.

Sassy

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 09:11 »
If you get high winds occasionally it may take very strong bungees to hold the tarpaulin :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 12:55 »
Upon speaking with a couple of old boys in the village yesterday it appears they do have a problem with Mr Fox who is known locally as Burt Reynolds. I was told one of the chickens was dragged through the holes in the mesh but he had used 2inch holed mesh.

In regards to using tarpaulin you could slope it like you suggested then brace it either side with wooden battons so it cant move around in the wind. If your looking for a cheap roofing solution you could try hardboard thats varnished but I dont plan in it lasting long once the water breaks through the varnish. Its a shame poly sheets are expensive. There are cheaper sheets available called correx or cordex which can easily be stapled in place and would be better than a tarpaulin. Unfortunately I havent a clue where to get it.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 23:26 »
I might the only one who has put a roof on their run! I use a pen instead (it plays no role really other than keep the rabbits in  ::) as the hens have free range of my two paddocks and my poor "chicken keepers garden"  its about 16ftx20ft , 5ft high and the hen house sits in the middle. I have had a fox attack once but it was early morning when they were out wandering ( cub season I think) and I thought theyd be ok. silly. The advice I was given by the breeder was that as long as they are locked inside their coop as soon as they retire, and are let out after 7am, fox wont visit. But I live in the countryside , I know urban foxes are brazen and desperate sometimes.
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 08:28 »
Poultry local to us does get taken during the day even right next to houses and we are in a very rural area :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39 »
I might the only one who has put a roof on their run! I use a pen instead (it plays no role really other than keep the rabbits in  ::) as the hens have free range of my two paddocks and my poor "chicken keepers garden"  its about 16ftx20ft , 5ft high and the hen house sits in the middle. I have had a fox attack once but it was early morning when they were out wandering ( cub season I think) and I thought theyd be ok. silly. The advice I was given by the breeder was that as long as they are locked inside their coop as soon as they retire, and are let out after 7am, fox wont visit. But I live in the countryside , I know urban foxes are brazen and desperate sometimes.

The urban foxes in our area are around 24/7 :mad:

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58 »
my mum stays in an urban area and we see foxes 24/7 too, one tried to hunt my sisters toy poodle when she was out walking it! :O I dont think I could handle the stress of chicken keeping if I lived in a city/built up area, big thumbs up to everyone who does!

The urban foxes in our area are around 24/7 :mad:

xx
Fox proofing!

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 20:44
by karlooben
xx
fox proofing. . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post December 07, 2007, 12:33
by daveinmanc
xx
fox proofing a run

Started by akwebb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 07:56
by joyfull
xx
weather proofing

Started by terrijane on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 12:25
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 36 queries.