Strawberries - how to plant out?

• 3 Replies

sazhig

Strawberries - how to plant out?
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:29 »
I have some strawberry plants in modules and a bed all ready to plant them in...only I'm not sure how to plant them...

All the instructions I find say to but the plants on a mound and spread the roots out either side of that...but the plants are in soil in the modules already so can I just plant them like I would any other potted plant or do I need to try and tease out the roots??

Also mulches? The bed in question has been very well dug and weeded and a mulch of spent compost put on...but I'm wondering whether to put some kind of weed barrier down like plastic or cardboard and plant through that?

Ta
Saz

savbo

Re: Strawberries - how to plant out?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:50 »
I like to make a wide mound (about 2') cover with fabric and plant through that at the top. Don't worry about teasing the roots out

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 14:20 »
If they're already happy in modules then you can leave them that way. They'll spread on their own in the nicely prepared soil.

But the key is that the final depth of the plant must be at the very same level they're at in the pot. Strawbs are very fussy on this point. A bit too deep and the crown will rot; a bit too shallow and roots are exposed and dry out.

As for mulches, you can add straw or plastic, but I wouldn't recommend the cardboard - it gets too moist and harbours slugs and earwigs.

sazhig

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 15:47 »
Thanks for the tips  :) ...now I understand why the ones I got last year rotted off  ::)

I shall probably hold off on the mulch altogether tbh as the plastic tends to attract pests as well.

xx
Strawberries - when to plant

Started by juebill on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 00:09
by frazzy
xx
When to plant strawberries?

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 18:12
by lazza
xx
Strawberries, when to plant?

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 16:39
by gobs
xx
What can I plant next to strawberries?

Started by michelleh on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 16:46
by flowerlady

Page created in 1.134 seconds with 36 queries.