Small Spaces and Vertical Growing

• 17 Replies

Auntiemogs

Small Spaces and Vertical Growing
« on: June 26, 2012, 14:49 »
Hi all! 

I hope you don't mind me starting this thread for those who would like to share ideas and hopefully lots of pictures on how they grow in small spaces, containers, vertical growing and just about anything related to maximising yields for a small space.

I'm quite new to this growing lark and because I don't have much space, really want to make the most of what I have available and learn from the experiences of others.

I'll post some piccies later of things I have on the go at the moment and update the post from time to time with its progress.  It would be great if anyone else fancies doing the same.  :)

Mags  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Small Spaces and Vertical Growing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 14:58 »
Have you taken a look at Johns book on growing in small spaces which can be found here  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 15:59 »
well heres one idea, when I built a new fence I added shelves to it to put pots on.
Grendel
IMG_8501 (Small).JPG
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 16:00 »
at the moment we have lettuce, hanging tomatoes and strawberries on the fence.
Grendel

Beano

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 16:10 »
That looks impressive. Saves bending down to pick them.
El.

grendel

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 16:32 »
our garden is about 25 foot square, with a conservatory and decking on the house side and a shed in the opposite corner with an apple tree in front, we use the large 18" containers in the garden, and I have been slowly paving most of the lawn mud patch to make better standing for the pots, we have rhubarb, raspberries blackberries round the edges and in pots, broad beans, french and runner beans, peas, tomatoes, lettuce strawberries (in hanging baskets). much tidying still needs doing and sometime the shed will be rebuilt into a greenhouse / shed and the garden will become more useable, a work in progress, mostly through freecycle and ebay for materials - the shed is half full at the moment, just with the double glazing units   that will form the greenhouse.
Grendel

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 16:39 »
well heres one idea, when I built a new fence I added shelves to it to put pots on.
Grendel

Doesn't the wind blow in Canterbury Grendel?  My pots wouldn't stay on shelves like for for long!   :)

grendel

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 16:43 »
you cant see the wire run about 3" above the shelf, we have had them since 2010 and never had a pot fall off yet, mind the prevailing wind blows them onto the fence. that and we are very sheltered.
Grendel

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 16:52 »
I only have a small space, so this yr I'm going for a little of everything to see how I get on with it all. I have some planters on the fence, which next yr will expand to the shaded fence too as salad leaves can grow in shade apparently.  I intend to have a full wall of leaves.  This will me to use the sunny side for other things.

I have a container area and one border. This will also expand next yr to provide extra area and hopefully hide the chicken run a little. I intend to get hubby to build an arch round the door to their run and my peas and beans will go up that

We will also be changing the front garden when we get the extension done so this will becomes a herb and fruit garden, anything that looks pretty. Raised planters and a few borders I'm thinking

Some good ideas I've seen and going to employ are grannieannie strawberry planter. I've bought the pots just need to get hubby to secure it.  My pineberries, straws will go in it and I may invest in some framberries too for it

Also some ideas for pallet planting. This is an idea, or version of I'm going to use for my salad leaves

Both on here but can't link on phone

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 16:58 »
Have you taken a look at Johns book on growing in small spaces which can be found here  :)
Indeed I have Joyful!  :)  It was the first one in my collection ( ::)) but I do like to see what others are up to.
Your shelves look great Grendel.  Does it take you long to water up?  My garden is only marginally bigger than yours (about 30' square) with a small deck.
I have Blackberries on the left (soon to add my new tayberry, when the hole stops filling up with water), greenhouse and raised bed (runners, toms, oca, onions and brassicas) and a smaller raised bed on the right (leeks, climbing peas, patty pan squash).
Pots on the deck house fruit trees, raspberries, blueberries, strawbs, broad beans, courgette, bush squash, garlic and herbs).
I also have one of those patiogrow frames from HH under the kitchen window but am finding that it is difficult to keep things watered even with an irrigation system so I think I will be adding some water gel to the compost next year.
I'm trying to feel my feet at the moment and making a list of things that do well for next year (i.e.will put a lot more Bijou mangetout in next year but probably won't bother with sugar snaps).
I've also put some planters in front of the trellis between the deck and the lawn and I'm crowing cues, runners and (hopefully) climbing squash.

grendel

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 18:11 »
well I have quite a reserve of water and if I use cans I can do the lot in about 20 minutes, getting through about 50-70 litres in the process, but we do have 3 125 litre butts, a 250 litre wheelie bin and a few other containers, but I have only had to water a few times this year so far with all the wet weather, another day of sun and I may be out with the watering can, we have courgettes as well as the list I have listed before. I do have to relocate about 6 large trugs of soil, this is from where I got the levels for  the paving, so beds will be levelled edged and generally tidied.
Grendel

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 18:23 »
Lots of pots squeezed into every gap and every empty bag of compost used for potatos (3 spuds in each) has increased our options. I also have chillis in hanging baskets in my 6'x2' lean-to greenhouse, which uses the upper part of the space. The greenhouse, incidentally, is squeezed into a 3.5' wide space along the (SW facing) side of the house between a fence and the house wall. Have also nailed three long pots to the fence for my carrots - saving space and (hopefully) avoiding carrot fly! We have planted two apple trees in the "common" ground on the other side of our fence, by a public footpath (according to our deeds, the ground is ours, but we cannot move the fence out to the path! But nothing to say we can't plant it out). Cuttings from our rosemary (if they ever grow roots) will be planted along the same outer fence. Oh, and finally, the conservatory is a good additional germination space!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 22:42 »
Well, I'm sad to say it but much as I have enjoyed growing my broad beans, at less than 1.5lb harvested from 2 tub trugs (10 to a tub), it doesn't seem worthwhile. They don't taste any different from the baby ones I buy frozen and next year I'll use the space for something else...

Also off next year's list are ground cherries (pictured). They have grown into quite large plants which I have had to move inside as they kept being blown over and damaged and the fruit are very small.
The aubergines look very pretty but with only a couple of small-sized fruits per plant, it is probably not worth the space and effort of cadjoling them along.

The overwintering onions (Senshyu Yellow) did really well this year and I shall definitely grow them again as I have now planted out a fair few dwarf french beans in their place.  The Karmen didn't do anywhere near as well so may just try an early sowing of Long Red Florence as I have the seeds anyway and can always harvest them young. :-)
Ground Cherries.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 09:34 »
Before you write off the ground cherries, you might want to put them into bigger pots - there's not much compost to support the size and height of the plants, which might in turn affect the size of the crop.  It would also mean that they didn't fall over so much.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Chrysalis

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 20:22 »
Here's what we do in part of our garden. Last year it fed two of us from May to Feb in greens and beans etc. spuds too.  Not huge crops but lots of variety and we could go and pick enough for a meal each day of the year.  We have done it again this year witha few tweaks.  Found the planting plan on "five-a-day-garden" from google.  Expensive to set up, but lovely to look at and kept us busy.
DSCF0802 (600 x 450).jpg

xx
Growing melons in a very small plot!

Started by Sopho on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 20:21
by tam
xx
One pumpkin ripening lots of small ones growing.

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 21:33
by nilsatis1964
xx
Growing Veg In A Small Space HELP - Any Good Books out there or advice?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 00:27
by eli
xx
A locating spaces and schedules

Started by Aplot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 15:06
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 36 queries.