keeping strawberries fresh?

• 12 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
keeping strawberries fresh?
« on: June 26, 2012, 13:48 »
My stawberries are producing quite well, even if I do have to share them with the birds that find a way under the netting! >:(

However I have found that once picked they do not keep fresh for more than 1 day, even if kept in the fridge, unlike shop bought ones that seem to keep longer. What is the difference between mine and commercial ones and how can I keep them fresh for longer?

PAULW

• Experienced Member
Re: keeping strawberries fresh?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 13:59 »
I should think the resaon is that the commercial growers pick them before they are ripe so they ripen in the shops whereas you are more likely to pick them at their best therefore just on the turn, have you tried putting them in a zip lock bag and gently sqeezing out as much air as possible without sqashing them salad treated like this will last over a week so may work for strawbs.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 14:09 »
As said, they're picked before they're ripe. Most of what I see on store shelves is only just starting to ripen.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 14:34 »
Thanks, but I'm sure the shop ones even once they are ripe stay around a bit longer. I've had some that in 1 day have gone mouldy. Should I be cleaning them immediately?

I am starting to pick before they fully ripen to stop the birds nicking them all! If I wait for them to ripen fully, I miss out and the birds have a nice treat!! 8)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 15:05 »
It's possibly stating the obvious but the riper they are the nearer they are to succumbing to rot - I suppose you have to make your own call as to keeping qualities versus optimum flavour (TBH I don't spend much time wondering about how long I can store them though!  :lol:)

Make sure you only refrigerate sound fruits - any bruising or other damage will quickly lead to fungal attack which will affect the undamaged fruit too.

Netting is pretty well essential where I am - it doesn't have to be very fancy to keep the birds off.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 16:51 »
It's definitely the way they are treated in the commercial world.  Up until this year there was a PYO strawberry field at the end of our road.  We would go and pick 7-14lbs of strawberries, gorge for 2 days then jam the rest as they were already turning.

Like the others have said, once picked nice and ripe, they will start to turn straight away.  Especially if you wash them.  Once water hits them, the degeneration process starts quicker!

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 18:17 »
I think it is 'odd' how supermarket strawberries will last for so long! Surely they must do something other than just pick them under ripe for this to happen? I try to leave them on the plant until I know that I can use them. Also they last longer if you make sure to leave a little stalk on rather than pull them off completely. To be honest I like the fact that they don't keep - it feels normal! :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 18:25 »
I am not sure if they can still do this but, fruit used to subjected to a very low dose of radiation to kill the mold spores.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 18:51 »
It could be that, lilacsandy, or perhaps they're growing varieties that are specifically slow to ripen, even if they look ripe. I've bitten into a few that were red outside but white inside. Yuk! It's kind of like commercial tomatoes that look red but taste very unripe because they need to stay that way for shipping.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 22:19 »
I am not sure if they can still do this but, fruit used to subjected to a very low dose of radiation to kill the mold spores.

This still happens. It delays the process of decay. They get NUKED basically!!!
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14 »
They get NUKED basically!!!

Yes I thought there might be something like this they do.

So if you live near a nuclear power station you might have longer lasting strawberries (that also glow in the dark). :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 14:21 »
At least you'd get value for money  :lol:

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 19:05 »
i tend to pick mine just as they are turning ripe so they last longer, when i get them home i top them and cut any rotten bits (if any) then wash them and put them in a bowl in the fridge. My last lot i had which i picked i think was thursday we didnt finish them until monday and they were still ok. I dunno if that will help. :)

xx
Keeping strawberries clean

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 06:27
by lacewing
smiley
Keeping our little daughter interested - Strawberries

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 23:36
by galen
xx
WOW FRESH PEA'S

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 22:15
by Tracybutton
xx
Using fresh manure

Started by 10b on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2023, 10:57
by 10b

Page created in 0.956 seconds with 38 queries.