My poor spuds

• 6 Replies

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
My poor spuds
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:52 »
Planted second early potatoes in April and everything was going well. I have earthed up and the plants are now covered in white flowers. Yet yesterday I noticed that the lower leaves of some plants have turned yellow and the stems appear to be wilting. I had a little dig around and there is a strong fishy smell coming from the stems. Has all of the recent rain killed my potato plants?  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: My poor spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:55 »
That sounds like the stem is rotting

Dig down and check the potatoes underneath and see if they are OK
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:35 »
Probably blackleg. Usual to see more in a wet year. Mainly it comes in the seed. Plants should be dug out and destroyed, not composted.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=223

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02 »
That sounds like the stem is rotting

Dig down and check the potatoes underneath and see if they are OK
The potatoes are not much bigger than large marbles (fourers). They have a good white color but feel a bit spongy.

mum23kids

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04 »
But don't despair. Do as RHS say and dig out affected plants. Be careful not to spread earth around and keep spade off healthy ones. Destroy the bad ones and clean spade. It is a bacteria.

I had it in 5-6 plants about 3 weeks ago. Did the above and went away for half term. Fully expected to come back and see all my lovely plants mushy. They are fine, flowering and almost ready.  It does come from affected seed but cannot be screened out so even certified pots (mine were) can have it (though they shouldn't). Also it can last in the ground for a fair number of years. Rotate.

The main problem in may opinion has been the ammount of rain which has just made it worse! Especially if on heavy clay soil.

Good luck

E

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:14 »
Thanks mum. Do I just pull the infected plants from the soil or do I need to dig right down? I'm just thinking that if I have to start digging I may as well dig out the lot. It's a shame. I've always wanted to grow potatoes and this is my first time of trying  :(

mum23kids

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 15:09 »
If you pull, the bottom of the plant will stay in the ground as the stem has rotted. Dig, but carefully. You should be able to just get the dodgy ones out. Try (easier said than done) not to shower the soil everywhere and be careful to keep your spade away from the healthy ones.  You should get out the original seed potato (which will be a mushy mess - should be don't panic!) and any little pots that may have started forming (though if it IS blackleg, these will only be tiny and probably not too appealing either!)

If some plants look Ok try to leave them as you are almost there now and your own new potatoes are always worth the effort!

Good luck
E

xx
Waah!!!! My poor spuds.

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 08:46
by Willow_Warren
xx
Spuds in pots - poor yield!

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 13:19
by dig4victory
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 36 queries.