Advice for a newbie

• 6 Replies

akexi1207

Advice for a newbie
« on: June 24, 2012, 19:09 »
Hi all,

I've only just found this site but thought you guys would be the best to ask. Firstly hello and apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.
I'm 25 and have been the proud owner of an allotment for just over a year now. It was let to me in April last year by which time the ground was impossible to work. In my area we have very heavy clay soil and I've been trying my best to get it worked and so far have only successfully had a few potatoes. I tried clearing more of the plot in February this year and though I had it under control however I've gone back today (admitedly after a couple of weeks) and the entire plot is overrun with thistles, nettles and the odd sticky vine like plant. So much so I'm thinking of giving up as I thought I knew what I was doing.

So my question is this, do you guys have any suggestions for a newbie, I've got a reasonable grasp on basic gardening I thought but with a plot of just over 4 rods I think I'm going about it all wrong. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Plot74

• tilly
Re: Advice for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 19:21 »
Alex
Welcome to the site.it takes time to turn a site around try not to do it all straight away.
You can cover an area over with thick black plastic this in time will kill off weeds .
There is many a good thread on this site giving advice on how to go about it.
As for the soil type read about raised beds it is a lot easier to improve the soil in smaller areas.
Stick with it you will get the bennifits in the end good luck keep on planting.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 19:53 »
Hi Alex,

Congrats on getting your plot and welcome to the forum.  It might be worth adding your location onto your profile on here so people can offer more local knowledge.

You have my sympathies with your predicament!  I have taken over two plots in June of different years and share the same soil type as yourself!  I have just taken on another small 2 rod plot and if you check out my blog on this website (link in my signature), I show how I am using lasagne gardening again to create beds as my soil is so rock solid to dig.  I would recommend it if you want to get a harvest from your plot before the winter rains make it more spade-friendly and want to save your back!

I also invested in a large roll of weed suppressant bought online which has done me two years and is still going - I use it to cover the paths, covered in bark chippings and also use it to cover sections to weaken the weed growth or prevent new weeds growing before I cultivate.  After clearing the weeds, I also recommend laying newspaper and mulching with grass clippings or home-made compost to keep the weeds down.  You can wet the newspaper and plant small plants direct in the newspaper and the paper will continue to keep the weeds down.

Ensure you add as much manure on top of the soil before winter.  If you do want to dig, it is worth adding grit into the soil to help open up the structure more.

Turning an overgrown plot into something productive is hard work, but is worth it once you can get on top of it.  Try not to do too much - do what you can, cover the bit you can't do to weaken the weeds as mentioned.  Concentrate on getting a small area cleared and planted before moving onto the next bit.  You will get there.  Good luck with the plot.  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 19:57 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 21:15 »
All good advice above

See here for the main website - you'll see various articles in the Beginner's Guide section, including tips to get you started, and how to clear the plot.

PS Welcome to the site
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ThePragmatist

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:27 »
I'm in a similar position, I got my plot last September. My soil is clay and fairly waterlogged at times. I'm trying weed control fabric with mulch on top to see how that goes. A neighbouring plot holder gave me a big sheet of plywood, which certainly knocks the weeds down if you leave it for a month or two. I have seen carpet suggested as well.

I found it helped me a lot to split up the plot into beds. In my head I have 7 rows of 2 beds. Each about 4 feet wide and maybe 10 feet long. I don't have any raised borders, but just breaking down the area into smaller chunks helped me feel like I was making progress. So over a weekend you can clear 1 plot then plant something in it. Lettuce, radish, spinach, something quick that you can see growing. Give yourself a small goal that you can achieve in a day or 2 at the plot. If your only target is the whole allotment looking perfect you will quickly get demoralised!

I also made myself 2 compost heaps and the beginnings of a path which made it feel like there was some structure to the plot. Rather than just flat ground and weeds.

fred-quimby

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:18 »
Hi Alexi

I am in the same position as yourself. My plot is also heavy clay.  After seeking advice on here I spilt the plot up into 7 areas.  The first area, at the start of the plot is my working area.  The furthest 5 areas I put down some heavy plastic sheeting, bought from the internet and that is keeping the weeds down well.  The last area is where I am starting.  I have sprayed with Roundup to save my poor back and after the weeds had all died back I covered the section with compost and straw and rotavated it all in.  My next move is to cover with green manure and leave it to grow before rotavating that in as well.  I will remove the next sheet of plastic next week and do the same again.  Meanwhile I made a leanto to catch some water for the butt and got the compost heaps going.  This has all taken about 3 months but I feel that taking my time and doing things in small amounts I am achieving something.

The best advice given to me on here is spilt into sections and cover the area you cannot get to first and do it section by section.  Feeling dead chuffed with myself at the moment as I can see the progress week by week.
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 19:59 »
Please avoid carpet as a weed suppressant.

You've no idea what chemicals are in it, it quickly can become matted as weeds grow though it (resulting in a hernia or slipped disc when you try to remove it  :ohmy: ) or if it disintegrates then it leaves bits all over your growing space.

And just think how horrid it would be to try to take a muddy, wet piece of carpet in your car to the tip  :wub:

xx
Advice for a newbie!

Started by miss k on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:19
by aqua
smiley
Newbie looking for advice

Started by Bristol Branks on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2017, 10:07
by Bristol Branks
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 14:44
by fletcherbaker
xx
Newbie - advice please

Started by Suziet8 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 21:22
by Fairy Plotmother

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 36 queries.