help needed on strawberries pls

• 4 Replies

jackieand glenn

help needed on strawberries pls
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:40 »
my second year in growing strawberries in the garden, i grew on runners from last year. lovely lot of fruit this year but is it the wet weather thats rotting the fruit does anyone no. they are netted against birds, ive put straw all round each plant so can only think its the wet weather. ive just picked my 4th bowl full of lunch, yum yum. such a waste when they rot. x

LilacSandy

Re: help needed on strawberries pls
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:46 »
I save my jam jars and pop them over the fruit, keeps them off the ground and keeps the wet off them, it also keeps them just that little bit warmer to help them ripen

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:48 »
Sure is frustrating, especially when what looks like the the perfect strawberry from the top turns out to be rotten underneath!  :(

Trouble is that straw can only hold so much water, and once saturated probably makes the problem even worse (I wonder whether anyone knows of a plastic substitute for straw which does the same job but dries out quicker...............?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jackieand glenn

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:54 »
i am thinking for next year putting weed control plastic sheeting down, then cutting holes in for each plant, anyone tried that, would like to no before i go to all the hassle. the jam jars a very good idea, but ive got so many plants i really needed a quick fix, im now off to place jam jars for what i have left, thank you all, some very good ideas and helps a lot for beginners like myself x

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 13:33 »
I save my jam jars and pop them over the fruit, keeps them off the ground and keeps the wet off them, it also keeps them just that little bit warmer to help them ripen
Would cut-off milk cartons work as well? How well do they keep the slugs and snails off?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Moving strawberries - advice needed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 19:25
by gobs
xx
Advice needed on planting cucumbers with strawberries

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 16:47
by mumofstig
xx
strawberries

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 08:56
by jambop
xx
Strawberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2020, 10:20
by New shoot

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 30 queries.