Bad year for apples...

• 21 Replies

Growster...

Bad year for apples...
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:25 »
This season, our two Lord Lambournes have only a few apples forming.

There was no frost to speak of in the spring (when the blossom was in full swing), and the foliage is way over what we expect this early in the year!

Anyone else expecting a poor crop at all?

lacaya

Re: Bad year for apples...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:33 »
I'm in the same neck of the woods. I was wondering if the constant rain meant fewer insects able to fertilise the flowers, as I had a regular amount of blossom but now have only a few apples on the very top branches (this is a big tree grown from a pip and it's knocking on a bit so I also wondered if it was just old age).

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:34 »
I only have a cox's orange pippin, and at the moment that looks fine with plenty of fruit; however, last year for no apparent reason it only produced just one apple!!   ???

You mention prolific foliage - don't know whether it's relevant, but I have a standard lilac and that is currently sporting masses of leaves that are getting on for twice the size they normally are but there isn't a single blossom on it!   :(

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:54 »
I'm in the same boat as lacaya; had lots of blossom, but it was too wet for too long for a lot of pollinators to get to the blossom.

on my apple trees the most number of fruit I have is about 5 on one, but only one on another and none on the rest.

My pears are doing really well though this year despite flowering only a few days later and even with a good June drop they haven't lost too much fruit.  I have heard that pears will produce an abundance one year and less the next; maybe this is just my pear year :)

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:52 »
 ..same, leaves are lush but 1 apple forming on 2 orange pippins. Disappointing. Someone told me it was lack of a cold winter?
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:22 »
Two trees, not one fruit  :(

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 13:07 »
look at it this way;  it will strengthen the trees for a (hopefully) good crop next year as they aren't putting their energy into growing fruit this year :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 14:51 »
We had an early hot spell followed by some late frosts. All my apple blossoms were hit and now there's not a single apple on any of the trees. But the trees are growing well  8) Local orchards were also hit very hard, with 70-90% losses.

If frosts didn't get your blossoms, then a too warm winter will do the same damage.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 14:56 »
I've only the one apple tree too.  Lots of blossom, but I think the wind and rain got rid of it before it had a chance to set any fruit.  Not one apple here either!

Had loads last year!

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 15:13 »
Last year I planted a cordon apple after is had been in a pot for 12 months, I don't know what apple it is as I bought it in Portugal and brought it home, anyway this spring it produced a multitude of flowers. I did not expect the flowers to set as it was the only apple in the garden and the area but I left the flower to see what would happen.

5 of the flower set and the fruit is growing I must try and translate the Portuguese name into English.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 20:03 »
Try typing it in this one Amilo!

http://translate.google.com/

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 20:05 »
Same here Growster.  I have a few cordon apples on my plot and one standard tree and between them, I am lucky if I have five apples - again, lots of blossom but no fruit forming now.  Last year, we had 12 apples on the standard which is only five foot high (it was the first year we had allowed it to produce any fruit as it was a youngster). 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

grendel

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 20:16 »
our apple tree is smothered in fruit - I have to say we dont know the variety, but it produces large apples, cooker eaters (1 lb fruits), they dont store at all longer than a few weeks once picked, it fruits early, and even brogdale cant identify it (3 failed attempts and refund of fee) I think it must have blossomed early, some years when other apples are groaning under the weight it seems to produce nothing.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Daisysandbeans

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 20:17 »
We have a tree on the plot, no idea what variety, had a fantastic crop last year, this year I can count a whole four apples growing - very disappointing :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 21:12 »
My parents (Herts) say the same about their apples and plums.

3 options:
- frost got the blossom
- tree exhausted after good crop last year
- blossom came out early / before the pollinators were around.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Poor year for apples and plums

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2019, 21:32
by RubyRed
xx
Sad apples :-(

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 09:38
by khelashi
xx
apples

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 09:12
by Anton
xx
Apples

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 18:21
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 38 queries.