slug problems

• 21 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: slug problems
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 14:45 »
Copper collars on the ground around the plant stems. Stop them in their tracks. ;)

You can buy these ready made and whilst they are on the dear side initially they will last a lifetime. You can make collars if you happen to be able to source some copper sheeting or strips - we have an old copper water tank here which we cut the top off to make a planter, leaving some sheet copper spare for cutting into collars. Again, if you can source it, you could also use thoroughly cleaned thick copper wire to good effect. :)

We do not use pellets any more as we have hedgehogs visiting and they can eat 100 slugs a night. Imagine if those slugs had been eating pellets.  :closedeyes:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 17:40 »
what beer do you use in your slug traps? asda's cheapest bitter for a pound doesn't seem to appeal too much. it's captured 2 slugs i a week. i hate to waste anything better, but i might if it's effective.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 18:04 »
all out nuclear approach here I am afraid.
Nematodes applied a week ago and backed up with blue pellets too.
This weather is designed for slugs not vegetables

Cheers HH
Keep digging

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 20:51 »
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread so someone may have already suggested this:

I just place tiles / roofing tiles around the allotment and over turn them occasionally, and kill the slugs and snails that are invariably congregating underneath.  It's a permanant solution and doesn't require the use of chemicals or pellets.

For the slugs I just take an old pair of scissors and cut them in half, the snails go under my size 4's  8)

bappelbe

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:58 »
what beer do you use in your slug traps? asda's cheapest bitter for a pound doesn't seem to appeal too much. it's captured 2 slugs i a week. i hate to waste anything better, but i might if it's effective.

I use Lidl's cheapest lager/pils and have good results (it is tasteless and watery as a drink IMHO)
I once got 500 slugs in a week! regularly have 30 in a trap overnight. You must put a tile/stone over the container to make it attractive to the slugs.
I still have slug damage so I am using pellets as well.

Bill

Kirpi

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 20:18 »
Frogs - I have a small pond in a quiet corner of the allotment which has attracted frogs for three years now.

Dustbin lids - I have four dustbin lids in strategic shady parts of the allotment. Slugs hide under these and either the frogs munch on them or I collect and take them up to the council litter bin on the way home and they end up in Landfill Land.

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 17:39 »
Hubbali - how long does your garlic infusion last once it's been sprayed on? Is it permanent until the next rain or do you have to apply it once a week say?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Slug and Compost problems

Started by TonyTee on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2023, 13:46
by Subversive_plot
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Slug gone

Started by SocksOn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 23:31
by Kirpi
xx
Slug pellets

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 10:41
by georget

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 28 queries.