Difficulty hatching?

• 6 Replies

primrose1

Difficulty hatching?
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:02 »
My chicks have been trying to hatch since Thurs evening when they broke the shells on their eggs, but the chicks are still not out? They are alive still but is it normal for them to take that long to hatch??????????

Chick Chick

Re: Difficulty hatching?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25 »
This happened to with four of my eggs,the membrane had dried solid around them.
I carefully chipped some shell off (make sure you start at the air sack end and stop for a while if it bleeds)and wet the membrane with warm water on a cotton bud and put it back in the incubator.....waited and watched and if it was till struggling did the same again.
Managed to help all four out and they are now strong healthy six week old's  :) I think they would have died if I had not helped them out, I needed more humidity from day 18 I think
Good luck
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:29 by Chick Chick »

splash101

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14 »
I havent had this problem before until this week where the same thing has happened (Wyandotte Bantams)
The membrane seems really thick compared to what i've hatched in the past but they eventually managed it and they all came out really soggy this time ( i was worried about them drying out)

When i hatched some quail earlier this year, that was a very slow job, some were taking 48 hours but they all hatched.

I increase the humidity in the last couple of days too ( i just follow the instructions with the incubator)
I'm not one for tampering with them whilst hatching but you must do what feels right for you

primrose1

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:07 »
I have helped them out, poor things were stuck in their shells the membrane had all dried around them.....One is doing ok but the other can't seem to right itself on its legs yet? They are very chirpy but wondered if they have been stuck in an awkward posdition for too long?

Chick Chick

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:20 »
Well done
Having something none slip under them helps.........rubber matting,kitchen roll or and old tea towel

primrose1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 22:51 »
I have only had two out of five hatch should I break the other eggs ?

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 22:22 »
I had the exact same too like you and splash101. I had to get a dampened sponge after 48 hours or so from pipping and wet the membrane as it had dried and seemed very thickened on 2 of the eggs (I watched how to do it on you tube lol!). It was really good for us - (kids too!!) to see how they come out (eggs under broody) after releasing them just that little bit allowing them to come out the rest of the way themselves, voila! I remain certain that I would have lost those two from exhaustion had I had not given nature a little helping hand  :D I have been told mother hens help their chick come out if needs be but I'm not so sure as she wasn't doing anything but?? I wonder if hatching small eggs under such a big fluffy warm old girl was partly the problem and it caused them to dry faster again who knows?! Good luch with yours x

xx
Difficulty Swallowing?

Started by webwahm on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 23:39
by dizzylizzie
xx
Difficulty Finding Hens For Sale

Started by stephenmel on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 22:17
by kimT
xx
Hatching

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 19:32
by nnbreeder
xx
hatching egg

Started by sange180 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 17:07
by sange180

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.