Onions

• 6 Replies

superluke2

Onions
« on: June 22, 2012, 16:04 »
Planted setts early April and have plent of leaf growth but no sign of bulbs coming. In fact they are looking like big spring onions. I know it's been cold and damp and their are periods when nothing happens but usually see some onions forming by now!!!

Countryman_uk

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 16:25 »
Hi mine are the same , but wouldnt worry about it they will come on, i lift my winter oinions last week as i need the room, still a good size but had only filled out in the last couple of weeks

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 20:37 »
There is a recession don't you know? It's affecting everything. We're in a slow down so things are shrinking.  ::)

Seriously I think there's little you can do but wait and hope like a good many more of us are doing at the moment.

I must admit I am growing (not a good choice of words) becoming rather impatient myself.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 13:46 »
greetings,some of mine have seed heads does that mean they have had it?

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 14:55 »
greetings,some of mine have seed heads does that mean they have had it?

Not sure but I think their growing season is nearing its end - use them any time soon rather than trying to harvest and save for later.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 18:37 »
Just cut off the flower head and leave them, they might still fatten up, but you definately can't store them.
Cheese makes everything better.

SG6

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 19:22 »
Onions bulk up at a aprticular time of the year depending on whether they are short, intermediate or long day types. :blush:

As we have just passed the solstice I would leave them immaterial of the type as they will start to register the shortening of the day light and start to bulk, if the get to the size you are hoping for is a different matter.

For Stirling you really need long day onions to get them to bulk, intermediates will bulk a little, short day varieties will be poor.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 19:24 by SG6 »

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 36 queries.