has she been bullied off nest again!!

• 7 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
has she been bullied off nest again!!
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:48 »
My bantam type birds went broody a few weeks ago, started with little one sitting, then 2 weeks in big bird took over, this laying and sitting was unsuccesful.

Little hen started going broody again, so I have left her to sit with four eggs, removing the eggs laid by big bird daily, yesterday I noticed little bird off the nest so I went to fetch the new egg, but big bird was sat there!!! thought she might be laying so left her be, but she hasnt moved!! now big bird is on the nest and little hen is sat at the side (Mr Cock is not very happy! - we only have 2 hens!)

I am little unsure what to do, I feel if I leave them like this it may be better as I know the chicks wont be attached by big bird as she "thinks" she is mum and protect them from maybe little hen?? or should I just kick her off!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Casey76

Re: has she been bullied off nest again!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00 »
If you want the little hen to sit, you must put her in a separate broody hut so she can sit in peace.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 15:30 »
Best to separate your broody when she starts to sit so this doesn't happen.  They eggs can be damaged when hens are competing over them.  It also encourages any of the other hens to go broody so you loose out on egg production.

I would do as Casey says and put your bantam in a broody hutch of her own with her eggs.  If you do this at night she is likely to continue to sit as if she has never been off the nest. 

Most hens won't tackle a broody so I wouldn't worry about your bantam being small and not being able to protect her chicks (she will be a force to be reckoned with).  Good luck.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 16:18 »
Thanks, I will try and come up with another coop/nest tonight and move them. If I lift big bird off and then put little hen back with her eggs (in a seperate coop) do you think big bird will stop sitting and being broody then!

I will keep you updated we have about 10 days left!

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 16:23 »
She might if you are lucky but probably not. 

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 16:34 »
Hi
I have seen a breeder putting a broody hen in a cardboard box full of straw with a lid.
This might solve your problem temporarily, although you must lift her out a least twice a day to drink, feed and pooh.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 20:04 »
dont fancy lifting big bird, but I will give it a go, gardening gloves at the ready!!

If I seperate and big bird remains broody, shall I split the eggs and give little bird 2 and big bird 2??

Can 1 broody still remain with Mr cock at night??

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 23:36 »
Another member split eggs between broodies and only a couple hatched which made it awkward to manage.

I don't know about having the cockerel with just one girl but it would be better to leave the big girl rather than the bantam.

xx
bullied hen

Started by jason g on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 09:51
by viettaclark
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 15:19
by Pepperpincushion
xx
being bullied

Started by prettychick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 16:23
by prettychick
xx
Bullied hen

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 08:21
by Sassy

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 37 queries.