feeding blueberry bushes

• 8 Replies

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
feeding blueberry bushes
« on: November 06, 2007, 19:46 »
do i still need to feed+water blueberry bushes in the winter time?

gobs

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 20:09 »
Other might have diff routines, personally, I don't.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 20:16 »
I wouldn't feed anything during the winter.  I'd only water (sparingly) plants in GH, coldframe or house.

Trillium

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 22:20 »
Ditto. You'd only stimulate the plants to try to grow now, when they'd actually suffer more in failure. Wait until spring to feed. Everything needs a rest.

hermon

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 10:25 »
can i add a question?...............i have a few blueberry bushes and i have notice some very strong growth i guess is a sucker from the main gtafted base, why do these need taking off? if they fruit i can't see why it matters?

Trillium

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 13:55 »
If it's the sucker that's putting on the growth, and it isn't taken off, then it will take over and the better upper section, where the good fruit is, will eventually die out. You'll be stuck with a strong growing plant with indifferent fruit.  That's why some plants are grafted; on their own, the good fruiting part can't survive well.

WG.

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 13:58 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
If it's the sucker that's putting on the growth, and it isn't taken off, then it will take over and the better upper section, where the good fruit is, will eventually die out. You'll be stuck with a strong growing plant with indifferent fruit.  That's why some plants are grafted; on their own, the good fruiting part can't survive well.
Glad you said that T.  That's what I figured but fruit is one of my many areas of non-expertise.

Trillium

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 14:04 »
The same problem exists with grafted fruit trees (eg dwarf varieties) and many roses. The latter are grafted onto vigorous wild rootstock which love nothing better than to try to take over. Most grafts aren't a problem, but the ones which aren't done well....GROAN!!

gobs

feeding blueberry bushes
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 14:45 »
As far as I know any soft fruit is hardly ever grafted, so there is no threats in that department. Raspberries tend to produce a lot of suckers, still most people do not remove them.

With blueberries, removing some old wood every 3-4 years seems to be adequate to me.

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 10:23
by chrissie B
xx
£1 blueberry bushes

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 10:05
by aelf
xx
Blueberry bushes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:16
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 37 queries.