Cost of point of lays

• 16 Replies

pigeonpie

Cost of point of lays
« on: June 19, 2012, 23:37 »
After having had ex-battery hens and some rescue hens for the last 4 years I'm considering getting some point of lays.

However, looking at websites and adverts I'm rather shocked at the prices - £17.50 for a Lohmann?

Can anyone advise me on what is a suitable price and what I should look for from a seller, perhaps even recommend someone locally (Northants / Oxon / Warks border)...

I don't really mind what breed, I would just like some hens that can keep up with the demand for free range eggs from my regular egg buyers now mine are beginning to get a bit past it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Cost of point of lays
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 23:43 »
I'm afraid generally prices have shot up over the past 2 years.  I know a lady who sells Warrens for £5.25.  I think she gets them from a commercial farmer friend as they are beak clipped, but I've had POL's from her and although she is a bit strange, the hens are fine.

But even around here in Lincs people are charging £20 give or take a fiver!   :ohmy: :ohmy:

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:12 »
I have just bought 3 pol speckledy for £12 each. Went to carlisle area for them. More than £20 each if I had bought them local. I think some breeders now see ££££ signs now that chicken keeping is getting more and more popular

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:31 »
I love my chickens but not quite enough to pay £20 for them!!!   :ohmy:

Perhaps on reflection I will get some more rescue birds this year as well as some day old chicks so that I have some replacements for next year...

Little red

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:43 »
When i got my 3 girls last year i was charged £20 each which for hybrids i now know is too much. I went elsewhere this year and got 2 pure breeds (Rhode Island Reds) for £15. So it pays too look around :)

splash101

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:02 »
when i was looking for some more last year, my husband was at a local market and there was a lafy selling free range eggs. He asked her did she happen to sell chickens as we were looking for some. She said she did and they were £4 each and i could go and look around anytime.
I didnt because i had sorted something else out but the fact that she said go anytime was reassuring.
They wouldnt have been point of lay but would still have had some mileage left in them.

We also have someone fairly local who sells POL hybrids fully vaccinated etc for £7.50 each (18 months ago they were £2.50 i know! £2.50) but you have to be quick as they soon sell out. A friend of mine has had 10 from her and they were fit and healthy birds.

steelman

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 14:33 »
Cobbs at Newark sell POL Lohmans for £8.00. We bought 6 a couple of months ago. I'd shop around a bit before paying £20.00 each. That seems like robbery to me!

Prod

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 19:09 »
I paid £130 for 5 POL chickens (Ancona, Cream Legbar, Bluebell, Columbian Blacktail, Buff Sussex) and a young Welsummer cockerel who is a stunning looking boy.  They were all from a reputable breeder near Abergavenny and I picked them myself from the various pens she had.  One or two she put back and said there were better ones and she offers great support & advice over the phone.  If you have seen my posts I have had a few problems  but mainly cos I am new to this and guess I panic a bit.  My neighbour buys her birds for between 50p and a £1  but they are honestly on their last legs (forgive the pun) and they dont give them all the stuff I do like grit, ACV, Flubenvet etc etc.  Some of them look in appalling condition (like feral pigeons do) but they let them free range till they pop off  so they get a slightly better quality of life than they had I guess.

mum23kids

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 19:30 »
My POL hybrids were £10 each (one ISA, one speckledy, one blacktail and one nera). That is pretty standard price at all the main chicken breeders/suppliers round here. (Cambridge)

emmaellis

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 20:38 »
Hi,

I bought 3 POL birds from Oxford Poultry nearly 2yrs ago after deciding to take the plunge. I was really impressed with their set up and the lady there was lovely. I've just looked on their website and the POL are priced at £12 for various breeds with one breed (sorry didn't get the name) at £20. Another local breeder sells POL for £15 again they have a lovely set up. I suppose like everything it depends on your budget but I was happy to pay £12 each for mine knowing that they obviously invest  profits into the care/welfare of their birds.
I hope you find a breeder and a price thats right for you.

Regards.

cheekychick22

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 20:45 »
its all according to the breed that you want if you want hybrids you can pay less for them than a purebreed mine are all pure breed so they ranged from 20 to 40 pound each

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:42 »
its all according to the breed that you want if you want hybrids you can pay less for them than a purebreed mine are all pure breed so they ranged from 20 to 40 pound each

I agree with the above. Also I think that chickens have got more expensive as they have become more popular to keep - the supply and demand thing!

However, having seen this discussion many times over the last few years it would also appear to me that the further north you go the better the prices - there will always be exceptions though :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

rosie14

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 13:04 »
as the last 2 posters have said really. We haven't had alot of hens over the last 4 years but most of ours have been rehomed/unwanted/needed ex barn hens.

I'm Kent and we paid £25 for a p.o.l. light sussex about 3 years ago (although it began laying it then promply died overnight!) about 18 months ago in the spring we bought a Gold laced Orpington and a stunning Welsummer p.o.l. for just £10 each locally from a farmer. We had a failed hatch and bought 3 two day old chicks for £10 a piece! One Gold Laced Orpington again and a bantam and a black & lavender bantam Orpington. This spring we bought (£15) for a p.o.l. Bluebell who is stunning.

Here in Kent there are lots of chicken sellers and recently on free ads I have been having a nosey and there are lots of youngters up for sale of all kinds of breeds and colourings. Might be worth a try. Make sure you are happy with the hens health, condition and look at how they are kept and handled too I'd say personally before you commit to buy. The more places you visit the better a feel you'll get. Paying lots of money for hens doesn't always mean you'll get better quality in my experience lol!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 14:07 »
It does seem to be a supply and demand thing so if you wait a while there should be more POL about from the Spring hatch. 

The other thing that is an influence is the price of feed etc.  I went for my normal Layers Pellets yesterday and they have gone up £1 per 20kg sack.  Growers pellets and chick crumb are more expensive than Layers so that could be a factor.  I thought inflation was meant to be low at the moment! 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cassy

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 15:24 »
hi everybody :)i am about to be a 1st time chicken keeper,when i finish all the extra's on my inherited house's &runs,i have 8 eggs under my brothers broody hen 8 ex batts that wont be here till september & a local breeder is sorting out a trio of bantams.reading all these post's i agree the prices are high,i'm sure they are worth it but its a lot of money to find!i really wanted marans silver-laced wyandotte & several others that caught my eye,i would like 2 of each,trouble is i live in cornwall and there doesnt seem to be many available here at a reasonable cost,any advice gratefully received :unsure:

xx
Kent Point Of Lays

Started by RobfromDeal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 22:06
by Tempe
xx
Introducing point of lays to old single hen

Started by Boffy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 22:08
by Boffy
xx
I wonder who lays this?

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 15:25
by shiatsusu
xx
How can you tell who lays what

Started by lynnsb on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 15:48
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 1.777 seconds with 36 queries.