Duckling Advice Wanted Please

• 8 Replies

Colernehens

Duckling Advice Wanted Please
« on: June 18, 2012, 23:01 »
I have two beautiful Cherry Valley ducklings that are roughly 7 weeks old.
They were already off heat and outside during the day when I got them two weeks ago. The breeder recommended that I kept them separate(which I have done) from my adult ducks until they were big enough to stand their ground, she thought about 10-12 weeks old before they would be big enough.

Well they are now already bigger than my call duck and roughly the same size as my miniature appleyards, all three of whom live undisturbed with my slightly larger khaki campbell's, so is there any reason why the ducklings shouldn't move in with all the adults?

If they can all move in together would it do any harm to feed all the ducks Growers for the next few weeks until the ducklings are old enough for layers pellets?

Also will they be alright in the coop at night as they are not fully feathered yet? They have been in the shed up till now at night in a wire topped cage.

Any advice gratefully received, seems unkind to hear them call to each other and not being together.  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 20:59 by Colernehens »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Duckling Advice Wanted Please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 13:31 »
Don't know about ducks but I let all my hens and chicks (9 and 10 weeks old) freerange during the day.  They all have their own accommodation (which I leave open during the day) so they can eat their own feed.  Have caught the big hens sneaking in for the growers pellets but not enough to do any harm.   ::)  :lol: 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Colernehens

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 14:38 »
Hi,

Thanks for that, I figured that everyone would sneak a bit of everyone else's food.

Would it do harm to the ducklings if they were to eat layers pellets? I had been told it wasn't good for ducklings or chicks to eat layers until they were POL, and at 8 weeks they have at least another month if not two before they are POL?

They really do want to be with the other ducks though, would be lovely if they could all be together.  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 15:16 »
You could let them mix late afternoon, that way they will have eaten nearly all of their daily intake of growers.

Colernehens

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 16:11 »
Yes that's not a bad idea, our adult ducks tend to eat first thing in the am and then last thing before bed (I lock them in their run for an hour before I shut them in the coop otherwise they insist on having something to eat when I trying to chase them in the coop), so I could remove the layers pellets in the afternoon and just put out growers and then put the ducklings in for a few hours each day.
Might have trouble catching them again in the evening though when its bed time!! ::) :lol:

jamima

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 16:14 »
I have 11 10 day old ducklings and they freerange  with 3 hens around the garden and stay out at night, although the hens nick the chick food, i am now putting it so they cant get at it .

Colernehens

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 16:24 »
Oh thats good to know, perhaps I am just being over protective, they are a really good size and feathering up nicely, so they ought to be ok. I am sure the little call duck will keep them in order, she normally has plenty to say  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 20:07 »
If they are all roughly the same size and the ducklings are almost feathered up then they should be fine to introduce to each other. Ducks generally are a bit more laid back when it comes to the pecking order.

As to the food, I would probably put them all on growers for at least a month until they are full sized at least.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Colernehens

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 20:58 »
Thanks, I'll take a good look at the feathering and check that is a good all over coverage and then I'll introduce them at the weekend. That way I can be here all day to make sure that there is no bullying going on.
But as you say Ducks seem far more tolerant of new comers than Hens. :)

I'll do as you say and feed them all growers for now, not too worried if the end production slows on my adult duck, I have enough to carry me through.  :D

xx
Duckling Feeding Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 17:43
by darrena
xx
Introducing new ducks, advice please plus duckling pics

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 15:19
by Nails
xx
ADVICE WANTED WITH OLD BROODER

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 15:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Advice wanted regarding tylan

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 05:29
by Paddywack

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.