Layer Pellets

• 8 Replies

thechicken

Layer Pellets
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:01 »
We have just got 2 bantam white leghorns - both are laying. We have given them layer pellets but they are not in the slightest bit interested in them. They will eat bread, corn and dehulled sunflower seeds.
Should we try another make of layer pellets or is there something we can make up which will suffice?
Look forward to advice as we are rather concerned.
Thanks

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Layer Pellets
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:05 »
They will eat all those others treats as they like them better. The layers pellets contain everything the birds need. You may have to consider cutting down or eliminating the treats for a while and they'll eat the layers pellets when they're hungry enough.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:07 »
watching with interest as my bantam will ignore layers pellets and scratch round garden all day, I never see her go to the feeder. Chick crumb she likes and shares with the chick when she can and she can spot mixed corn from the other end of garden at treat time in afternoon.
I use the small holders layers pellets. Despite this she is laying well.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08 »
Did you get a sample of the pellets/mash that the breeder was feeding?  you may need to do a gradual switch over from teh breeders brand to the one you have bought.

In the mean time, cut out all treats.  Bread should only evey be fed soaked in water, and then only in very small quantities as it has no nutritional value for chickens.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:27 »
Cut the treats down to a minimum and leave until later in the day.
Make a mash out of the layer pellets by adding hot water. It is the only way I can get mine to eat pellets. You can change to layer mash when the bag is finished

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:33 »
Try crushing some of the layers pellets to make them crumb like.  If they have been fed on Layers mash before you got them it could take them a while to adjust to Layers pellets.

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 23:05 »
oh man, I feel your pain. I now have to be so strict with treats and keep them until late afternoon/evening time as my girls will turn their noses up at layers if they know a grape is on the horizon (imagine a grape on the horizon for a sec...) theyre a bit like kids with sweets and cats with Tuna. With my chickens I have had to, on occasion make a water-porridge oat/pellet/corn mash and gradually take away everything else. Fussy eaters indeed. Also if the mash is too solidfor my girls they wont eat it, it has to be like slop :/
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 06:42 »
Like someone else said try grinding the layers you have, ours are on pellets but sometimes I grind them in the blender and they love it
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

thechicken

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 19:11 »
Thank you so much for all your help.

The soaking of the pellets in hot water to make a mash has done the trick - will be buying the layer mash next time!

Thanks again everybody!

xx
Whats the difference, between layer pellets and layer mash?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 11:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
layer pellets

Started by dugless on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 16:42
by dugless
xx
layer pellets

Started by dennis on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 08:34
by Sassy

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 37 queries.