Bindweed and total eradication

• 18 Replies

Yana

Bindweed and total eradication
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:01 »
I know that the only true way to get rid of bindweed is to dig to the centre of the earth and remove every scrap of the root, however, I don't think I have a fork or spade that will handle that sort of work  :lol:
I thought I had removed loads and ŵent ahead and put in raised beds and ........ Yes, you've guessed it....... It's popped up again.
I've read in the forums about something called Glyphosate? I might have spelt it wrong.
My question s this ....... Where can I get Glyphosate and can I use it selectively on the new shoots of bindweed that a appearing?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bindweed and total eradication
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:33 »
Aaaaahhh My nemasis weed as well  :lol:

Glyphosate is the active ingredient of a lot of weedkillers - the ones that say kills roots as well all contain it, so Resolva, Weedol, Roundup are all good choices, plus you can buy weedkiller just labelled glyphosate weedkiller at most garden centres and DIY sheds as an own brand or cheapy not so heavily advertised brand.

I use Resolva and carefully spray the green shoots of bindweed as it pops up.  Be careful not to get it on your other plants or use when windy and risk spray drift as it will kill anything green it touches  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35 »
Glyphosate is the active ingredient / chemical in the most commonly found weedkillers these days.  The best-known brand name is Roundup, but you can get it cheaper as own-branded versions, just look at its coverage ratios.

Personally, I buy the concentrated version and then dilute as required - it's more expensive initially but goes much further.

You need to spray or water it onto actively growing leaves, so let the bindweed grow for a week or two before applying it.  Don't apply on a windy day or if it will be wet within 6 hours.  It then gets absorbed into the plant and taken down to the roots - this takes 10-14 days usually.  Don't cut the plant down until after this time.

The methods of application can be tweaked if your bindweed is in other plants. Some people stick a cane into the soil to encourage it to grow up that.  Others put a barrier round it before spraying, to prevent drift onto other plants.  It will kill anything in its path so do protect other plants.

It becomes inert on contact with the soil so there's no other replant delay.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 13:06 »
I have the dreaded japanise. Knotweed on part of my allotment, unfortunately that means that the council says I'm not allowed to grow anything on that part of my plot. I spray it with roundup when it pops up but I did see glyphosate this morning on sale in asda, but it is £8.50 for 6 sachets! Needless to say I didn't buy it. The council are supposed to treat it annually but they dont so im stuch with it  magazines say that spraying it will weaken it and maybe kill it in about 3 - 5 years but im not holding my breath. I just use this part of my plot for parking.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 13:52 »
I think Roundup also does a gel stick so you can target specific weeds but it is expensive (£7.99).....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 13:55 »
I have the dreaded japanise. Knotweed on part of my allotment, unfortunately that means that the council says I'm not allowed to grow anything on that part of my plot. I spray it with roundup when it pops up but I did see glyphosate this morning on sale in asda, but it is £8.50 for 6 sachets! Needless to say I didn't buy it. The council are supposed to treat it annually but they dont so im stuch with it  magazines say that spraying it will weaken it and maybe kill it in about 3 - 5 years but im not holding my breath. I just use this part of my plot for parking.

I'd just keep annoying the council til they treat it as they should - I trust they don't charge rent for the piece you cant use  :dry:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 14:18 »
Though I try to be as organic as possible, bindweed is the exception and I must Roundup it every time it pops up somewhere. It's under good control now but I still must keep some spray on hand because seeds of the dratted stuff blow in from who knows where  >:(

I have tried digging it all up in the past but it's impossible to get every last bit especially as the root snaps at any touch  >:( >:(

As for Japanese knotweed, I understood its on the special list that councils must arrange professional removal of. As mum says, don't pay rent for the section it's on. 

Ropster

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 14:29 »
I think Roundup also does a gel stick so you can target specific weeds but it is expensive (£7.99).....

Yes I got one of these this year and it is ideal for bindweed, easy to apply only to the weed and not the other plants. Also it realy works. I went over my onion plot dabbing each bindweed plant (of which there are many) and a couple of weeks later most are gone

Spana

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 15:19 »

Yes I got one of these this year and it is ideal for bindweed, easy to apply only to the weed and not the other plants. Also it really works. I went over my onion plot dabbing each bindweed plant (of which there are many) and a couple of weeks later most are gone

I've also had excellent results on bindweed with one of these gel things. :happy:

I dont think it is expensive when you take into account the ease of use, safety to other plants growing close by, the time and frustration saved and the fact that it works so well if used properly all make it very cost effective. :happy:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 15:37 »
Also, if you are worried about spraying the bindweed around other  plants, what my cousin's husband used to do was half sink an old jam jar in the ground and put some weedkiller in it.  Then get hold of the ends of the bindweed and shove them in the jar and hold them down with something. 

Apparently they 'drink' the weedkiller and it goes right down into the roots, but doesn't affect anything else around it.  I haven't tried it myself though.

As to the Knotweed Maxine,  I have a little patch that sometimes comes up next to my path.  I've dug down forever like you, but the only thing that evetually stopped it was Clinic Ace, which is supposed to be professional use only, but it is strong.  Clinic Ace is 360g/litre of glyphosate, so look out for the strongest thing you can get.  The more grammes per litre of Glyphosate the better!

Katejs

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 16:49 »
I have lots of bindweed too.  I use the gel if other plants are very close by, otherwise I use a spray of made up concentrate - I have a cut-down 2l plastic water bottle that I put around the bindweed plant first and spray inside that, to avoid any drift of spray.  Be careful about it dripping off the bottom as you carry it around through.

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 20:47 »
Thanks for all the advice. I've not ask for a reduction in my rent but will do :) I like the bottle idea for spraying as I don't let it get big enough for the jam jar drink. Thanks again :)

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 23:43 »
Why are you not allowed to grow anything on the contaminated land?

lacewing

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:50 »
I use Resolve and it does what it says on the bottle. It takes about two weeks to get right down to the roots.  At first the weeds put on a spurt of growth and by the end of the second week the weeds have turned yellow and will eventually disappear. I  made a plastic collar, similar to what vets use for animals, to isolate weeds whilst spraying.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 07:55 »
 The bottle idea is a good one, means you can also spray weeds even when raining  :D
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

xx
any tips on spidermite eradication(organic)

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 11:37
by jingerpot
xx
Horsetail - Marestail Problem Weed Eradication

Started by Stevie P on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 17:55
by mushroom
xx
Total Newbie!

Started by DaveM on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 16:10
by DaveM
xx
Hi from a total newbie

Started by cabte on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 22:22
by cabte

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 38 queries.