What To Do Now?

• 10 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
What To Do Now?
« on: June 16, 2012, 15:30 »
Oh, this chicken keeping business is one hell of a roller-coaster isnt it.

After my threads about bullying a few weeks ago, we decided against re-homing 2 of our girls, and bought a new house and run, so we had 2 in one and 2 in the other. Happy days and happy hens.

My Speckledy, Oeuf-ilia has always been quite a quiet bird, and has been VERY regularly broody since early December.

She moved into the new accommodation with Pauline (the one who has being bullied) and all seemed well. I noticed the odd weird neck movement but all seemed well.

We came back from holiday last Sunday evening, and this week I noticed she was a bit quieter than normal, and lots of weird neck stuff.

This morning, I took her out, to feel her crop, and there was a HUGE impaction - like an orange, which was rock solid. I tried massaging it, but it was like a brick.

I managed to get her to the vets at 11.20, and he aggreed she had a badly impacted crop, and offerred surgery, but at reduced costs (I am friendly with his wife), but it was still a lot of money, and no guarantee of success. We decided that she would be put to sleep. He said he would like to do a post mortem at no charge to me, and rang me at 1.00pm to say that the mass was bedding she had been eating - probably when being very rapidly broody.

I am devastated, but now have another problem.

Pauline, the chicken who was being terribly bullied, is now on her own.
Do I get a youngish chicken (earlier than POL) and hope they can settle together, do I try and get her feathered and happy and try to reintergrate her with the other two (who were bullying her) - this would mean a reasonable period on her own.

What would you do?

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: What To Do Now?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 19:41 »
Sorry to hear all what you have been going through. if it was me in your position I would get another hen then at least the bullying would be spread and Pauline would have some company?
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

cheekychick22

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 20:20 »
I've just brought some younger birds and there has been no bullying

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 20:24 »
Since you already have the set up ready for 2 enclosures, why try and put her back in with the bullies, get a couple of youngester and let her be head hen

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 20:37 »
Are you using straw for bedding as you shouldn't use hay.
I would get her another.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 21:59 »
I bought a chopped product, which my local supplier recommended - its horse grade, and he uses it for his birds, but it seems to be that that she was eating. I used that in conjunction with straw - which the vet recommended I use on its own.

I think I would like to keep at 2 and 2, which would mean getting Pauline just one youngester - would that be ok? Is it better getting a girl younger than POL, would she accept her easier? How long shall I leave Pauline on her own before getting the new girl?

I am so sad tonight, feel truly like I am not doing my job properly.
Oeuf-ilia was such a lovely girl, so gentle and sweet.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 22:02 »
 :(  So sorry.  Could it be that she did not have access to enough food whilst you were on holiday?

I would go down the route of getting younger birds as other have suggested.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 23:04 »
No, she had plenty of food whilst we were away - my parents house sat, and they adore the chickens. I wouldnt go away if they couldnt come and look after the girls for us.

She has been broody 3 times since Christmas, and I havent been able to break her each time.

Poor Pauline looks a little sad out there on her own tonight. How quickly should I get another girl?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 23:15 »
As soon as you like.  You could put a mirror in her run as a short term aid.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:24 »
Sorry to hear about Oeuf-ilia  :(  What a shame after all the stress you had a few weeks ago.

I know you would prefer to keep 2 and 2, but it may be better to get 2 new girls and I would get them not too far off POL.  Although Pauline was bullied, she may well see her chance and turn bully herself in her enthusiasm to establish herself as top hen.  A pair of newbies will have the comfort of each other then and not be too stressed.

I don't want to worry you either, but it can go the other way and it is not always the newbies who end up on the bottom rung.  I have a black & red Yokohama bantie who has always been last on the pecking order depsite being one of my oldest girls.  Yoda my tiny Serama who is the size of a wood pigeon and was new last year, kicks her round when in the mind to do it.  Bear it in mind when you go pick your girls up and don't pick birds the breeder knows are dominant types.  The ones hanging at the back keeping out of everyone's way would be a better bet :)

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:02 »
Would it be possible to put some day old chicks in with her the next time she goes broody.
Removing her eggs to do this.
That way she would think they were her own and no bullying

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 30 queries.