Planting dilemma

• 4 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Planting dilemma
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:37 »
A few years ago, to supplement my growing space I "liberated" a piece of land on our property. It's about fifteen metres by 15 metres and good rich soil that has had tons of horse muck on it over the time I've been using it. Problem is it's heavily shaded by trees and only really gets full light in the early morning and late afternoon/evening. It's heavily infested with mice, probably due to the cover given by the trees so peas and beans just get dug up. Carrots get murdered by carrot-root flies and brassicas get mauled to death by wood pigeons. The only crops that seem to do well there are spuds and parsnips and therein lies the problem.

This summer will be the fifth successive crop of spuds off it. They appear quite healthy and vigorous, probably due to the amount of muck applied and in fact the only legacy problem I seem to have is the vast amount of "volunteer" spuds that I have to deal with every year.

If I am to keep on growing spuds on it is there any necessary remedial or other work I need to do to the soil which until the copious amount of horse manure was added was heavy clay? I'm reluctant to abandon it back to nature

I should have added that at planting time I use a modest amount of "Growmore" in the drills
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:06 by AlaninCarlisle »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 14:15 »
The difficulty you face is that not only are you depleting the soil of the same nutrients each year, you will be contributing to the build-up of the same pests and diseases - which you can't do anything about.

You can always protect brassicas and carrots by using enviromesh.  Why don't you try protection and another crop next year?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 14:46 »
Yes, I know that I'm constantly using the same nutrients Yorkie but I wondered if all the manure plus the Growmore would replace them. I also wondered if liming might be beneficial

There's no sign of a build-up of diseases and pests yet but I agree it's likely to happen at some time if I plant spuds year after year.

I'll try brassicas with protection on half of it

Ironically, another adjoining similarly shaded patch of land that I rescued from nature supports a prolific crop of black, white and redcurrant bushes plus gooseberries without the need for any protection provided I pick the fruit as soon as it is ripe

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 15:18 »
Manure improves the soil structure rather than its fertility.

Lime will stop the soil getting too acidic - but be aware that spuds will get scab if you make it too alkaline.

See this page on the main website for info on spuds' fertilisers.

To be honest, if you can get your hands on actual potato fertiliser, it will have the right balance of NPK without you needing to compensate for balanced fertiliser.

But if you can't get it, make do with standard growmore or FBB.

Keep an eye out for underground slug / pest damage.  You might need nematodes to counter them.

If the spuds start to look sickly, you should be prepared for it to be a soil-borne disease which you can't do anything about.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 15:41 »
Thanks, good advice

xx
dilemma

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 10:16
by potatogrower
xx
Dilemma

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2021, 12:58
by Russell Atterbury
xx
pea dilemma

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 06:38
by DD.
xx
Raspberry dilemma

Started by pimnimmin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 21:52
by pimnimmin

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 36 queries.