Bess died this morning

• 11 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Bess died this morning
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:53 »
Yesterday morning we were laughing at Bess posing on top of the coop where Mo and chicks are. She seemed her usual self. There was a soft egg in nest box but she has been doing that occasionally and then every few days lays (laid I mean  :( )  a good egg. Her shells were always thin though despite oyster shell etc available. When I got home from work after lunch she was in nest box. I left her for a bit and then later lifted her out. She seemed sorry for herself and not interested in treat time but no droopy tail.  This morning she looked really poorly (pale comb and tail down)  I brought her into kitchen in warm to think about what to do next and find some advice. A sudden noise from kitchen made me think she had perked up and wanted out of the box but she was convulsing and died so suddenly clearish liquid coming from her mouth. I cannot believe how quickly this has happened. She was a hybrid Black Rock  and about 2 years old. She was a feisty, greedy, funny hen who would sit on bench peering in kitchen window and was always first in line at treat time.
That is both my hybrid girls, bought pol Easter 2011, gone. Left with 2 silkie cross and the chicks they hatched. Bess was the boss and kept the cats in order. I'll miss her. Does anyone suspect what might have been wrong. I read this site loads and follow posts but I still did not see this coming.  :( :( :(

Geo

• Experienced Member
Re: Bess died this morning
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:35 »
Sorry to hear that Jo
I have lost 3 hens in total in the time I have kept hens. two were laying soft eggs and it was this I was told killed them. My hens always have oyster shells available. now using shellmax to help with a stronger shell

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:01 »
So sorry to hear about Bess. She was clearly a cared for and dare I say pampered hen. Hybrids do not have such a long life expectancy and it is quite likely that it was just her time. I doubt it was anything you did or that you could have done anything about it.

You gave her a great life and you have some of her chicks which is really wonderful. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 12:15 »
If she was a proper black rock, then 2 years old is nothing for them, although they are hybrids.  When I spoke to the daughter of Peter Sissons, who first started the breed, she said they can easily go on laying for 5 years.  And I've seen photo's of one lady's 11 year old black rocks still looking healthy.

But like humans, we don't really know when our time is up.  Sorry to hear about Bess, sounds like she will be sorely missed by you all.   :( :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 13:51 »
Sorry you have lost Bess, a short but happy life is better than a long and miserable one.

I have 4 genuine Black Rocks and their egg quality is always good.  I do have a Bovan Goldline who sounds like Bess, she is the Boss (called Bossy Boots) and is the greadiest.  She also lays soft shelled eggs and this is getting more regular.  I think that is is sometimes in the breeding and if owned by a farmer these hens would be culled.  She is happy and full of mischief like Bess so be comforted that you gave her everything she needed.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 14:00 »
I am sorry for your loss.  I know just how you are feeling right now as my 'boss hen' died today too.  I would just guess that your hen had an egg that didn't come out right.  But it is just an uneducated guess.  I know you are as gutted as I am.  This dying bit really make it hard to get new hens.  I'm thinking of you. xx
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 14:44 »
Thank you all. The garden seems empty! I'm not sure if she was a real black rock , I was much more naive when I bought. She did have a good life though and gave us some laughs. Sympathies to all going through similar.

thats1crazylady

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 19:02 »
Lots of people on here have lost hens today, so very sad. I have only been keeping hens for a couple of months but would be gutted to lose one of them.   :(
Soft eggs seem to be a real worry, can we do more than have oyster shell available?
Sorry for your loss  :( :(

Mum2mj

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 20:09 »
Hi Jo, I'm sorry for your loss too, it sounds like she was a well loved, cared for & happy hen.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 23:16 »
So sorry for your loss, I lost one of my girls on Thursday and I can't gdt used to not seeing her pottering in the garden, the others seem a bit lost too

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 04:58 »
This is awful, so sorry!!! :(

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 06:21 »
So sorry for your loss they are such lovely characters and really do become part of the family :(

xx
My hen died this morning

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:32
by newChickenMummy
xx
My beautiful hen died this morning

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 15:13
by dizzylizzie
xx
chicken died this morning

Started by Lizziechick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 18:44
by bantam novice
xx
Repecka Died This Morning

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 06:18
by sneezer

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 36 queries.