The ladder on the Eglu Cube

• 9 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
The ladder on the Eglu Cube
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:57 »
I am struggling to find a plaastic coop for 5 chickens with a foxproof run.  I have decided (almost) to bite the £800 bullet and buy an Eglu Cube.

It is probably to be used for a hospital coop, and I keep ex-batts.  For this reason the ladder doesn't look easy to use.

I would be gratefully for Cube users opinions on this?  And is there an 'easy access' ladder I can make? 

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: The ladder on the Eglu Cube
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:32 »
You could secure a wooden board to the ladder to make it more solid and so it will reach the ground. If your just after a hospital coop I  would of the the go or classic would be a better option and a lot cheaper.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:17 »
or one of the solway arcs like joyfull has.  No ladder, less than £800 and still plastic

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 14:42 »
Thanks for the advice.  I have looked at the Classic and the Solway but I need a coop for 6 chickens incase of evacusting my wooden coop due to red mite, and the Solway runs aren't foxproof.  Just can't find my ideal coop.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 17:04 »
The cube should be fab. Have you visited the Omlet forum to ask your question of the seasoned Cube owners on there  :)

Mahango

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 23:32 »
Do you mean the Omlet one? If so I use that and my hens don't have any problem with it

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 23:51 »
Iv got the cube I bought mine second hand for less then half the price so have a look around

jhub

• jane
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 00:05 »
My hens have no problem with the Eglu ladder. It did take a few days for them to find their way to 'bed' when I first got them.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 19:00 »
I followed the suggestion to ask experiencd Cube users on the Omlet forum.  The first post I read was the following (I have edited it to the relevant bits):

Topic Why don't Omlet address obvious design faults

'I see from reviews that purchasers have been repeatedly highlighting, over several years, the problems with the ladder. I keep reading about chickens finding the steps too far apart and struggling to get up and down, and this frequently leading to bantams falling through the steps and birds launching themselves off the top, rather than walk down. Its also said again and again that the is slippy and too far off the ground.'

Having read this, I would be happy to pay for an 'optional extra' ladder for  small/elderley and poorly chickens, and will suggest this to Omlet.  In the meantime, unfortunately, I don't think the Cube is the answer to my problems.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 19:04 »
Sorry, I meant to say thank you to all that posted that there chooks had no problem with the ladder. Normally this would have reassured me, but I want a coop for poorly/ex-batts.

xx
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 01:03
by compostqueen
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by andyhenderson10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 17:34
by chuckmum
question
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 10:15
by joyfull
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by mikeimp on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 19:54
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 36 queries.