Laying in shed

• 5 Replies

Prod

Laying in shed
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:31 »
 I let my birds out of their electric fenced area in the mornings so they can free range. They have 2 sheltered areas that I have built and plenty of hedges/bushes etc but I also leave the shed door open. They know I keep the food in there and the bag of bedding and woodchips. The cream legbar (Sugar) started laying her egg on top of the straw bale and now they all lay there. The other day I put something on top to prevent them laying and they all went mad, rosey and screeching and making it very clear they wanted the bale back. How do I get them laying back in the nest boxes :wub:???

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
Re: Laying in shed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:44 »
Hi Prod , i would shut the shed door first so they cant access the new laying area then i would place a few rubber eggs in the nest box's to encourage them back.

also are your original nest box's ok ?
 Do they have red mite in them ?

hope this helps
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:11 »
Thanks

The original nest boxes are ok and, to be honest, ocassionally they do lay in there, perhaps because others are on the straw bale. 'Touch wood' I dont have red mite. Before I got the hens I doused the coop inside and out with poultry shield and do that once a month when I give the coop a thorough clean. I dust with Diatom weekly and (when we do get some sun) I put Diatom where they dust bathe. I also put Diatom in the euclyptus bedding in the nest boxes.  I thinkl I have just spoiled them and let them get away with it.  :wub:

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:32 »
Do you have straw in the nest boxes?  You hens may perfer to lay on straw rather than shavings/wood chip etc :)

Prod

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 13:12 »
Yes  it is eucalyptus straw which I use just for the nest boxes and woodchips for the floor

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:21 »
Keeping them out is the only answer. I'd suggest there is nothing wrong. Ours will suddenly decide to all lay in the back of a garage or behind the coop etc for no apparent reason. After a bit they go back to the nesting box. Six months later there is another trendy place to lay and we go through the same chaos.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
laying

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 13:15
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.756 seconds with 37 queries.