Adoption!

• 4 Replies

JJ282

Adoption!
« on: June 15, 2012, 19:03 »
Its that time where i need some advice from you all out there again .....
I have a Light Sussex hen sat on 12 eggs she started to hatch on Tuesday (12th June)
3 half hatched but died in the shell I left her to sit on the remaining eggs but I don't think there anything in the rest of the eggs so while sat there wondering what to do with her I came up with the idea of getting some day old and put the chicks them under her at night and take the eggs away. IS this  a good idea??? I have a source of chicks locally so there wouldn't be any trouble getting her any Im just worried what shell do, has anyone got experience of doing this? I think she'll be a good mother .... if she does decide she doesn't like them then i can always rear them myself as i always have the brooding cage set up as there always seems to be some form of chick here due to my chicken obsession lol. So please anyone out there with advice id much appreciate it. Thanks x

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Adoption!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 20:24 »
Yes, you should be fine doing that. Introduce them in the evening if you can, put them toward the back end of the broody and take away an egg each time you do it.
My broody took on some of my friends extra chicks, she can't count so never notice she got more chicks than eggs in the end.  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 22:24 »
Broodies instincts are so strong that you should not have a problem if you follow Jaks advice.  I think someone else did a similar thing on this site recently.  Good luck. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JJ282

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 18:19 »
thank you both for your replies, glad to report that all went well and mother hen is very very happy with her brood. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 19:24 »
Looking forward to you posting some cute photos.   :D

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 36 queries.