why no broccoli heads??

• 6 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
why no broccoli heads??
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:58 »
my calabrese plants (mr fothergills seeds, no variety named) were lovely strong plants when i put them out a couple of months ago into their specially prepared bed, loads of w r m and blood fish bone, also beaten with a spade to firm up bed, lol, (backache for me) . they went in about a foot apart and well netted. i was expecting a few dinners from them,
but most of them havent even made a head, about 4 made very small heads but only enough for one meal.  where did i go wrong, or is there still time for the others to develop?

any comments gratefully received...

BabbyAnn

Re: why no broccoli heads??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:33 »
I can't remember exactly when I harvested my one off crop of "summer" calabrese (plants given to me by a friend) but it was definitely much later in the year, possibly from mid-July/August?  It was about the same time I was digging up 1st and 2nd early potatoes .... so hang in there a little longer rachel  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 13:53 »
the advice here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/vegetables/calabrese

is that if sown at the correct time, they will produce heads in August, so if anything yours may be bolting if they are cropping already :(

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 16:12 »
I thought i'd be smart and sow early, 10 days ago thought I'd pulled it off as they looked very close to being ready to harvest..................all 6 plants have now bolted, win some lose some I've cut the heads off and will hopefully get a few side shoots.

My normally sown ones with a view to harvesting late july onwards look fine no sign of heads as yet, sounds like you went a bit early tbh.
Faff free zone!

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 18:13 »
yep out of 8 plants, 1 of mine has started to produce little heads  >:( - oh well when i see them i nip them off and munch on them  :lol:

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 18:54 »
yes BabbyAnn, more patience required perhaps as ive just thought to check the seed packet and is says 'harvest sept to nov' !!!! ::) i dont think its bolted, however, i dont know what bolted broccoli looks like. i wonder, should i space them out abit more (they are about 10" to 12" apart). this, as you might have guessed, is the first time ive grown this.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:28 »
i wonder, should i space them out abit more (they are about 10" to 12" apart). this, as you might have guessed, is the first time ive grown this.

I'd say they are a little close together - probably more like 18-24" would have been better.  If you tried to widen the space by moving them, they may not like it, but perhaps alternate ones could be carefully moved (get as much of the root ball and soil without disturbing the roots and water in well.

xx
Broccoli-like heads on rhubarb

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 21:12
by banf77
xx
Caterpillars in my Broccoli heads

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 17:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Which calabrese has big heads ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 20:53
by BabbyAnn
xx
Cauliflower heads.

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 07:25
by arh

Page created in 0.807 seconds with 38 queries.