lifting broody or not?

• 10 Replies

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
lifting broody or not?
« on: June 13, 2012, 18:51 »
Do any of you lift your broody to eat drink and poop? or leave her to do her thing? Ive tried both, but Im worried Im interfering when I lift her (and get pecked to buggery in the process) if I leave her Im worried she'll poop on her eggs as shes THAT determined to sit. Her comb is pale and she seems quite wobbly when I place her down. Bit worried!
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: lifting broody or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 19:08 »
I would get some good gloves  :lol: and lift her off once a day. At least then you know that she is taking care of herself.

Chick Chick

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 19:16 »
I lifted mine in the morning, again just before dusk and watched while she ate, had a drink and a poo she then went back to sit on the eggs. She was a good girl and didn't peck me once. Use some gardening gloves to protect your hands.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 19:52 »
be very careful if you are lifting, i lifted mine and an egg was stuck to her bare skin and as i lifted her off it dropped and broke. Thankfully it was well addled and did not contain a chick.

mine didnt peck either just lots of moaning.

I found that if i took the lid off of the nesting box, she came out carefully on her own accord.
I caught her nipping out in the daytime so quickly if you blinked you would have missed it.

She didnt poop on the eggs but i think some other people have had that happen. In fact she didnt poop in the coop until the chicks were 5 weeks old - happy days for cleaning them out

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 20:43 »
I lifted mine today after the advice on here, when I placed her on the floor, she just stayed still, (like she was still on the eggs!) There were more eggs under her today so she must have moved to let the other hen lay, just that I didnt see it!

I have one succesful hatching where I didnt move her, but the last time, none hatched and again i didnt move her. So got advice from here as I want to try to give her and her chicks the best opp available!

Is the comb the red thing on there heads??

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 21:03 »
Hi
I always lifted mine of twice a day to pooh and stretch her legs, they quickly return. I always kept small dish of wheat and one of water within reach of her where she was nesting.
They can have an egg tucked under their wings so be careful.

Frenchliving
Yes the comb is the red thing on top of their head  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

carolbriar

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 14:01 »
My hen is broody and sitting on eggs.  I was lifting her off twice a day but was worried it was too much.  I now lift her once a day.  Her comb is also very pale but then she was broody for three weeks prior to me putting eggs under her.  All being well the chicks are due to hatch on Monday :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 19:06 »
thansl for replies everyone, I will lift her twice a day I think just nowand supervise her as I left her to do her thing today and caught her wandering with the other girls, when I went to check her the eggs were cold :( I hope theres still a chance they will hatch, she couldnt have been off them for more than 20-30 mins as I checked her before then. My girl is a real violent pecker too, jut had blood drawn today! :0 oven gloves at the ready! will post some pics of our chicks if they hatch successfully! thanks again . Nic

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 08:47 »
I lifted mine today after the advice on here, when I placed her on the floor, she just stayed still, (like she was still on the eggs!) There were more eggs under her today so she must have moved to let the other hen lay, just that I didnt see it!

I have one succesful hatching where I didnt move her, but the last time, none hatched and again i didnt move her. So got advice from here as I want to try to give her and her chicks the best opp available!

Is the comb the red thing on there heads??

It is best to remove them from the other hens when they are sitting. Some hens may attack the chicks when they hatch and thebroody needs peace and quiet. :)

nic_28 - the eggs should be ok. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:59 »
I have never had another hen attack any off my chicks when they are out with their broody mum and mine have mixed with them from day old. The broody hen will protect them even though she may get pecked from hens higher up in the pecking order but she will attack those lower than her to warn them off  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 21:36 »
Sassy - my hens are free range in the garden, so the broody does have peace and quiet for most of the day! I still havent moved her away but I am thinking I may nearer the time - 1st July ish!

Joyful - not sure if we should do the same and just let them mix from day one, it will mean building a bigger coop for ours, to move them now, may just wait to see if its a succesful hatching this time, as we can always knocksomething up when they arrive - providing that we dont have 4 cockerals!!

xx
your thoughts please re lifting broody hen and feeding

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 22:17
by orchardlady
xx
new chicken lifting legs. Normal?

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 19:49
by Tigerwren
xx
cockral lifting legs high

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 19:01
by phil-c
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.