A bath and some carrots

• 16 Replies

Calou

• Experienced Member
A bath and some carrots
« on: November 05, 2007, 20:43 »
I'm sure I've read (more than once on here) that carrots should be well spaced out, well chatting to one of the guys on the plot tonight and he was telling me that he grows his in bath tubs!! Does anyone else out there do this and how many do u get to a bath?  :shock:
Calou
Reasonably organic but totally realistic

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: A bath and some carrots
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 20:47 »
Quote from: "Calou"
I'm sure I've read (more than once on here) that carrots should be well spaced out, well chatting to one of the guys on the plot tonight and he was telling me that he grows his in bath tubs!! Does anyone else out there do this and how many do u get to a bath?  :shock:

i grow mine in old water tanks... as usual I didn't thin them out enough so loads of small ones. but works a treat.. the height of the bath/tank/etc means the carrot fly cannot get to the carrots.

gobs

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 21:11 »
Very true, if you are  not growing for show, (and before I get attacked on this I must ad G Hamilton confirms) they are one of those crops that don't need too mush space and just push each other out. :wink:

And I do grow radish and beetroot with the same technique and I cannot show them, but for the kitchen they are more than adequate in my book, thin them by removing the biggest ones for eating early. :)

Waste not. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Boothy

• Experienced Member
A bath and some carrots
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 21:12 »
I grew mine in an old wooden chest - only used a quarter of it for carrots - rest for cabbage and had quite a successful - if a bit on the small crop.
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

Calou

• Experienced Member
A bath and some carrots
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 21:19 »
Well thats interesting, thanks guys. So obviously they don't need alot of space then and as I have no plans to "show" then I may just give it a go.

muntjac

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 21:22 »
just sow em n pick as you go .. you wont get fly if ya got the bath high enough ...... oh n leave the blooming plug out  :wink: carrots cant swim :roll:
still alive /............

Calou

• Experienced Member
A bath and some carrots
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 21:29 »
Gee Munt' thanks, would never have thought to leave the plug out!!!!   :?

mkhenry

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 21:30 »
I grow mine in dustbins.  I grow them in a spiral,  That way as I pick them the sun reaches the smaller ones in the middle.  As the season heats up or later cools down I move or just twist them a little.  No pest no viruses and def no carrot fly.

I grow different carrots in each bin making sure of a succession.  When the first early ones have all been picked,I sow a winter standing one.  

Werks for me. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

muntjac

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 21:30 »
Gee Munt' thanks, would never have thought to leave the plug out!!!!   :?

i know , that why i reminded ya ,, women ferget these things  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Calou

• Experienced Member
A bath and some carrots
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 22:14 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
I grow mine in dustbins.  I grow them in a spiral,  That way as I pick them the sun reaches the smaller ones in the middle.  As the season heats up or later cools down I move or just twist them a little.  No pest no viruses and def no carrot fly.

I grow different carrots in each bin making sure of a succession.  When the first early ones have all been picked,I sow a winter standing one.  

So they can grow that close huh, I mean if you do it in a spiral fashion MK, thanks for sharing that one.

mkhenry

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 22:56 »

So they can grow that close huh, I mean if you do it in a spiral fashion MK, thanks for sharing that one.

Yeb and as others have said eat any that you feel you want to thin.DDDDDelicious :wink:

Annie

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 23:31 »
We`ve just finished our carrots and OH has now got a bath on standby for next year..my view about a bath in the garden has been modified as the carrots have diminished and I am now strangley drawn to the idea. :lol:

muntjac

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 23:34 »
they also make nice litle fish ponds ,,,,,,, :wink: nice for goldfish on the plot and if ya have a pond at home and they breed you can put them in a bath to grow on,,, silicone sealant the plug hole tho  :wink:

mkhenry

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 23:36 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
they also make nice litle fish ponds ,,,,,,, :wink: nice for goldfish on the plot and if ya have a pond at home and they breed you can put them in a bath to grow on,,, silicone sealant the plug hole tho  :wink:

Munty means the bath plug hole not the gold fishes  :lol:  :wink:

muntjac

A bath and some carrots
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 23:38 »
Quote from: "muntjac"

Munty means the bath plug hole not the gold fishes  :lol:  :wink:

dohhhhhh,, ty mk .... lololo

xx
Carrots in a bath

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 14:29
by Trillium
xx
Carrots in an old tin bath

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 23:28
by FCG
xx
Carrots in a bath - How best to do it...

Started by elliottk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 22:38
by GrannieAnnie
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 36 queries.