Bad year for tree fruit

• 16 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Bad year for tree fruit
« on: June 12, 2012, 16:36 »
Last year I had a bumper crop of tree fruit, but this year looks like being very poor. I can't see a single apple on either of my trees, both of which normally have a reliably big crop. One of my pear trees has fruit but the other one has none. And the morello cherry has some fruit, though less than last year, but very few on the sweet cherry. All of them had plenty of blossom, so I guess the cold spell came at just the right/wrong time to stop them germinating. We didn't really have much in the way of late frost, so I think it must be more lack of insects. All my bush/cane fruit are looking good, just the tree fruit that's been hit.

Trillium

Re: Bad year for tree fruit
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 16:50 »
A problem with bumper crops is that some trees exhaust themselves for the next year and the crop isn't as heavy, if any. Add a few frosts when the blossoms are out, and which you didn't think were all that cold, and you can lose most, if not all, of your crop. Ask my local orchards who were hit with unusually late frosts and lost 70-100% of their crops this year. Drought and bees dying of various new diseases and thoughtless chemical spraying on top of this and it's a terrible recipe for everyone.

I haven't got a single blossom or fruit on any of my apples, plum or pear this year and only a few (low ones) on my peach trees.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 16:58 »
Well, when I say reliably big crop I mean these trees have had a big crop every year for the past 15 years. Something about the timing of the weather this year must have been really off to have caused that much of a problem. In my area we had a pretty mild winter and spring really, more wet and windy than cold, not enough warmth for the tender stuff but not enough cold to harm the tougher outdoor stuff. I guess it was enough cold to stop the insects doing their job too. I've noticed all my outdoor basket tomatoes have been growing a lot of flowers but most of those are not germinating either. Strange because there's plenty of bees buzzing around my raspberries and loganberries.

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 17:04 »
A warm early spring brought out a lot of blossom and leaf early, before the polinators were ready. Then we had a real cold snap and the frost zapped the blossoms and tender young leaves.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 19:33 »
Same problem here. Pollination is poor and there don't seem to be many insects around. It has been too wet for them. There were a lot of young fledgling birds around after the warm March, so perhaps they have eaten them.
On the positive side, we haven't got any blackfly on the beans yet.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 22:58 »
I only planted my Victoria Plum tree this year so I wasn't expecting much anyway, but that is sad to hear.
Likely right about the pollinators being at low levels.

Good ol' English weather!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 23:05 »
I was told my damson tree bears prolifically every year... well there were millions of blossoms a few weeks ago and now not a single forming fruit is visible at all...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:30 »
Oddly enough, I watched an item on the news tonight about an apple farmer in the UK who in his entire orchards had barely any fruit at all this year :) I guess it's not just me then.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:37 »
Another problem with apple trees is that if the winter isn't cold enough then the blossoms either don't form or they fall off. In the southern US they cannot grow apples at all for this reason. Sounds like maybe your winter was too mild for the apples, and maybe a few other fairly tough fruit trees.

lacewing

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:33 »
After the strong winds last week, my morello cherry lost a lot of i'ts fruit. Not quite sure if it was the wind or the June drop. The plum tree had s good crop of developing fruit but some of the plums have turned a pale colour and are starting to shrivel up. The apple trees seem to have a reasonable crop, except one tree has some dry papery leaves. All the soft fruit bushes seem to have good crops.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

simonwatson

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:59 »
I've just inspected my Bramley apple tree. It's given me about 250lb of fruit every year for the past five years. This year, it blossomed very early and I can find no set fruit. All blossom has shrivelled and fallen off. Gutted.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 09:03 »
A warm early spring brought out a lot of blossom and leaf early, before the polinators were ready. Then we had a real cold snap and the frost zapped the blossoms and tender young leaves.

I think you are right about the warm early spring and lack of pollinators, and then the later in this region, any later blossom was hit by wet and windy weather when pollinators wouldn't be around anyway.  I have 13 established fruit trees in my garden (apples, plums, cherry, pear, peach) so the flowering season tends to be well stretched out and I can usually expect at least something but it is going to be a pretty poor year.  I do have a few peaches on my dwarf tree which surprised me.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 15:30 »
i planted 4, 2year old cordons last autumn and all had lots of  blossom on them this year, however all but one failed to developed fruit,  :(   the only one that is doing well is a baking apple called Jumbo, who's  fruit is now golf ball sized. hope it lives up to it's name  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 15:52 »
I noticed plenty of fruit on one of my apple trees yesterday and I have lots of gooseberries on  :)

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 17:01 »
I've got more fruit than last year on my sweet cherries but less on my Morello. Mind you my Morello had so much fruit on it last year the branches were resting on the ground so I pruned it back. A lot seem to have dropped when we had those very windy gusts a couple of weeks ago.

My plum tree had more fruit than last year but the leaves all started curling and most seem to have dropped off. Got masses on my apple tree though. I fear maybe too much!

xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
Fruit trees - when is a first year a first year?

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 09:14
by peapod
xx
ID help with Fruit Tree

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 18:58
by mattwragg94

Page created in 0.95 seconds with 37 queries.