Raspberry protection

• 6 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Raspberry protection
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:01 »
Hi fellow fruitonauts
Never grown fruit before, but have inherited some raspberry canes on the veg plot which are starting to develop now. When do I start protecting from predators? Does the netting need to go down to the ground? Any tips on how to get the net to stay on the top of canes? Anything else I should be doing to improve crop/flavour?
thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry protection
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:33 »
I found that summer raspberries were much more attractive to birds than autumn ones, which are usually left alone, at least where I am.

If you do net (and unless you construct a large fruit cage it's a bit of a nuisance TBH) it should go down to the ground and be pegged there or you run the risk of trapping birds inside it. Upturned small plastic bottles or small drinks cans make good cane-toppers, and the netting (which should be of large enough mesh size to let bees through) needs to be in place as soon as the berries start to ripen.

Raspberries need plenty of water, and should be fed if you haven't done so already - mulching helps keep the roots cool and moist.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 16:12 »
Thanks JayG
in terms of mulching, could I use comfrey leaves? I have some comfrey plants just near the plot, and wondering what to do with 'em. Don't really fancy making the comfrey tea due to the 'stench of open drains' everyone talks about ...haven't fed the raspberries up to now, but do have some old (2 year plus) chicken manure in an old pig sty. Would that be suitable?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 16:47 »
I daresay the chicken manure would make both a good mulch and feed (unless you mean the dried poo variety which is a good feed but not a mulch!)

Don't know much about using comfrey as a mulch - it would no doubt help keep the moisture in (almost anything would!) but you need a comfrey expert to advise whether it's a good way of feeding too (my guess is that it would be a long time before it released much in the way of nutrients.)

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 19:00 »
Hi JayG

the chicken manure is the chicken poo variety (just an old layer of the stuff in a pig sty), so from what you say, that's not much use as a mulch then. Will see if anyone has some wise words on the comfrey front. Thanks muchly.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 19:19 »
I think Jay may have meant that the dried pellets don't make a good mulch  :nowink:

The stuff from the bottom of the sty would be fine, I would think, especially if you wet it as it goes down
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 20:35 »
Thanks Sunshineband, will give that a go.

xx
Protection!?

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 23:27
by turnpike
xx
Protection!!

Started by iamnew on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 22:08
by richyrich7
xx
protection

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 12:28
by WG.
xx
Crop Protection

Started by Inky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 16:57
by DD.

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 37 queries.