lost 3 girls to fox attack

• 7 Replies

Sue33

lost 3 girls to fox attack
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:49 »

Unfortunately  a fox got three of my girls Friday night, miraculously the fourth turned up Saturday morning but she's not looking great, she spent yesterday either in the coop (her choice) or sat on my lap, she has two rather nasty looking open wounds on her back, i have bathed them in salt water and intend to get some antiseptic spray today, anything else I should be doing?   

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: lost 3 girls to fox attack
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32 »
So sorry to hear that. Hope she recovers. :(

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:57 »
Oh so sorry.
Is she eating and drinking?

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:01 »
So sorry to hear about this.  How is the surviving girl getting on?

My first action, after making sure she was ok and bathing her wounds, would be to try and make sure that the fox can't do this again.  How did the fox get the girls?  Is there anything more you can do to stop it from happening again?

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:31 »

she is eating fine, i gave her some tinned tuna yesterday and this morning she has had some layers pellets.   Their run is completely fox-proof but i had forgotten to close the door and when i remembered at 10pm it was too late  :(   

Julias hens

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:20 »
So easy to make a mistake isn't it, I am still sad after losing mine a month ago but haven't seen any signs of a fox since!  They are so cunning. Hope your sore girl recovers, some tender care and she could be fine.  Had an over enthusiastic cockerel a few years back and one of his hens had quite bad tears but they healed very well. Good luck.

On a cheery note just hatched 3 chicks last night to replace the hens we lost and they are a great antidote!

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58 »
Hi Sue - so sorry about you losing your three girls - it is so difficult at this time of year because the foxes are more active as they are feeding young. We lost one hen a couple of weeks ago and one of the ducks was injured - she healed really quickly so hopefully your hen will be OK. This morning I heard the hens making a lot of noise - I went out to check and everything was OK near the run - decided to look about the garden and saw a fox running off into the undergrowth between us and the farm next door - so I think we had a close run thing.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:42 »
I got an antiobiotic from the vet for my three foxed girls. It didn't cost much but I felt reassured as they had some horrendous bites.

I only forgot to close the door once. Never saw any previous signs of fox activity either.  :(

I found the whole experience very traumatic as my girls were injured but still alive. The noise they were making was blood curdling.  I'd never want to go through that again so had a new secure covered run built and put the coop into that.  You can't relax though and I never felt confident that they were completely safe 

xx
lost 2 hens to a dog attack

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 19:24
by craig1981
xx
Lost one of my girls today

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 22:49
by shetan
xx
Lost one of my girls yesterday

Started by morbidia on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 22:56
by morbidia
xx
Thought I'd lost Romeo and his girls!!

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 00:05
by muntjac

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 36 queries.