Creepy things in my layers pellets?

• 4 Replies

BML

Creepy things in my layers pellets?
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:19 »
I keep my layers pellets and corn in two separate dustbins but today I found what I think may be Weevils in those bins.  Is it all right to just leave them to the chickens to eat them?

Prod

Re: Creepy things in my layers pellets?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 16:15 »
I would check which bin is worse  ...then give them the lesser of two wevils..........sorry  cudnt resist :wacko: :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 17:03 »
I would want to know how they ended up in the bins - is the food stale and out of date? Fresh feed and clean bins shouldn't have any creepy crawlies in at all.
I don't think I would be happy feeding it to my hens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 18:51 »
sometimes they are already in the food, when i used to open some newly bought bags of horsefeed there were creepies in there  :(
time to look for a new supplier possibly.
It might be that they have old stock or not storing it correctly or it might even be 'trouble at mill'

Are your lids on the bins a good fit or are there any cracks that they could be getting in

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:03 »
They may not be "weevils" but another beetle larvae (it doesn't really matter to you as you just want rid). It is very common to get the eggs/larvae in pet/animal foods. They're not a danger in themselves, but are destroying the nutritional value of the food. To have weevils in two separate bins suggests a problem. The usual problem is that bins are not emptied, but are "topped-up" so the infestation at the bottom has a chance to thrive. A difficult one and I'm just as guilty as nobody wants to run out of food and how do you move binned food around?
The only answer is to empty the bins, clean and put in fresh food then use all before putting in new food. I'd suggest just using up the food; the chooks will enjoy the larvae  which are the sorts of things they seek when free-ranging and they won't come to any harm. You could have a new bag of food kept separate and mix in a little if you're worried about nutrients, but I wouldn't worry.
BTW you may be amazed at the amount of insect debris you consume in your daily food  :)

xx
Age for layers pellets

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 08:34
by Sassy
xx
Layers pellets HELP!!!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 21:53
by WR1
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by puddin1107 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:56
by SUTTY1
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by Pat4d on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 31 queries.