Poorly Hilda

• 7 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Poorly Hilda
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:01 »
I have six ex-batts, two remaining from the four I rehomed in 2009 and four new ones that I acquired on April Fools Day.

One of the new ones, Hilda, is a bit off-colour this morning and I wondered if anyone has any advice, please.

She was a bit quiet yesterday and spent a lot of time in the coop, so I did briefly wonder if she had gone broody.  However, yesterday evening she came out and, well, the only way I can describe it is that she looked like she was shouting her head off with the sound turned down.  No sound came out, she just stood with her beak opening and closing and her neck stretched out.  She didn't put herself to bed last night, she huddled under the house, so I popped her in and kept my fingers crossed.

This morning she came out of the house with the others.  She seemed quite bright and interested but refused mealworms so she must be ill!  I've just been out and checked her over - her eyes are bright and clear, wattle and combs bright red, bottom clean, crop feels empty: she looks physically normal and hasn't been sick whilst I have been watching her. No idea about poo.

Might it be respiratory?  I was wondering whether the "silent shouting" might be gasping for air?

I'm going to see if I can get her to the vet this morning but thought I'd ask on her in case anyone had any ideas...

Many thanks x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Poorly Hilda
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:01 »
when was she last wormed? it could be gape worm so she would need flubenvet or possibly drontal (although a vet would have to prescribe this) or
what is her crop like? is it hard or squishy? could she have an impacted crop?
Staffies are softer than you think.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:49 »
Thanks for your reply joyfull.

She hasn't been wormed by me at all, she only arrived on April Fools Day. Perhaps I should have wormed them all as soon as they arrived but, being ex-caged birds, I assumed they'd be all medicated up :-(

Just back from the vet.  Two of three vets at the practice I use are very good with chickens, one is an avian expert, the other has kept chickens all her life.  Guess which vet I got today?  Yup, the one who hasn't examined a chicken in "years". I suggested gapeworm and she looked a bit blank but she's taken Hilda in, is going to get some rehydration fluid in her and give her an injectable wormer (?) and a broad spectrum antibiotic and wait for one of the other two vets to see her later this afternoon.

The more I read about gapeworm, the more it looks like you are correct joyfull.  I tried to get the vet to give me some more Flubenvet to treat my other girls (pretty sure the tub I have, which I currently can't find, is out of date anyway) but she wouldn't do it.  Is it easily passed from bird to bird? 

Guess I just have to wait now for one of the vets who know what they are doing to get involved...

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 21:45 »
An update, in case anyone was wondering.

Vet still not sure what it was (she thinks gapeworm but didn't see any evidence in her poo of it, she said) but some Baytril, Panacur and rehydration fluids seem to have done the trick. Felt a bit mean picking Hilda up today - from a nice warm, dry cage at the vet to the pouring rain of the back garden. But she toddled off quite happily and started scratching in the flowerbeds again so seemed happy enough.

Also got doses of Panacur from the vet for my other girls. We had a discussion about Flubenvet and we both feel it is a bit "hit & miss" with the amount you have to put in the food being so tiny. Being that I wanted to make sure that none of the others had picked up anything parasitic (and because my husband isn't going to be happy at any more £100 vet bills!), the vet suggested the Panacur, which is liquid and can be administered by syringe, according to weight.

Another chicken crisis successfully averted. I hope!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 23:46 »
Hello Amanda,
I hope she recovers fully.
It's really useful to receive updates as many of us read the posts with interest but might not feel sufficiently experienced to offer advice, so your updates help me to learn more about chickens and their problems.
Thank you.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:06 »
Glad someone found my witterings useful  :)

Will definitely be using the Panacur over the Flubenvet for worming in future, I think. It's so much easier to just syringe a bit of liquid down a chook's throat than mess around mixing a minuscule amount of powder into a bucket of food and never be quite sure who's had what. I think I also assumed that worming an animal gave it some onward protection from parasites but apparently it doesn't. The wormer kills any parasites living in the animal for around 24 hours after administration but nothing after that. The monthly/three monthly/six monthly gap recommended between worming treatments are the estimated amount of time an animal could go between being initially reinfested and for the level of infestation to reach a level that is very harmful. Yuk.

Anyway, if anyone in Bucks needs a chicken vet, can highly recommend two out of three of mine!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19 »
however with flubenvet you can still eat the eggs whereas with panacur there is probably a period when you will have to discard them (your vet will be able to tell you if it is 7, 12 or 28 days).

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31 »
That's true joyfull, although I am happy to forego the eggs for a few days (vet said 10 days) if I can be sure that my girls have had a proper dose of wormer.

Life is full of compromises :-)

xx
Say hello to Gertrude and Hilda

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 21:50
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen?

Started by jn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 18:21
by 4chooks
xx
poorly hen

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 21:35
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 37 queries.