ultrafine enviromesh.

• 10 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
ultrafine enviromesh.
« on: June 08, 2012, 18:00 »
hi all ,ive just invested in some ultra fine enviromesh for all my brassicas.hoping for some near perfect stuff this autumn and winter yee ha!!.  :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: ultrafine enviromesh.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 20:20 »
I use it and love it.  Don't forget the slug protection though!  Once you have set up your fancy cloche, it is the devil's job to get into it on a regular basis to apply afterwards!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 21:41 »
I just bought another length off fleabay.  I treat myself when I have a few quid.  I have to cover everything not just against pigeons but rabbits that like to dig everything up  :nowink:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 15:46 »
I have loads of it but still I end up with darned catteypiddlers! :mad:

I'm going to try very fine net curtains from a very cheap shop and see if I get a better effect. They may rot by the end of the season but I might get some cabbages! ::)

Funny how catteypiddlers don't seem to bother with kale???? I alway get my kale left alone?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 17:57 »

I'm going to try very fine net curtains from a very cheap shop and see if I get a better effect. They may rot by the end of the season but I might get some cabbages! ::)

Funny how catteypiddlers don't seem to bother with kale???? I alway get my kale left alone?

I think you must have left some gaps somewhere DBG, as there no way that a butterfly can get through the size of the mesh or poke their bottoms through the lay eggs on leaves either

I weight mine down well all round -- some members dig one edge into the ground, and weight the others: no gaps is the rule!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 18:25 »

I think you must have left some gaps somewhere DBG, as there no way that a butterfly can get through the size of the mesh or poke their bottoms through the lay eggs on leaves either

I weight mine down well all round -- some members dig one edge into the ground, and weight the others: no gaps is the rule!

Honestly, 3 years running we built various caterpillar defence things and each one has failed somehow!
We've dug the base of our frames in, left no holes visible, pinned everything down and I still find myself picking off cattypiddlers!!!!
I thoroughly enjoy squashing them! :D

plot103

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 23:26 »
Honestly, 3 years running we built various caterpillar defence things and each one has failed somehow!
We've dug the base of our frames in, left no holes visible, pinned everything down and I still find myself picking off cattypiddlers!!!!

If there is no way in, they must have been there already, in one form or another, before you covered them up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 23:31 by plot103 »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:48 »

If there is no way in, they must have been there already, in one form or another, before you covered them up.

I'd like to think not. :blush:
They're covered from the moment they get in the ground and each and every plant is inspected before planting out.

Compared to slugs, cattypiddlers are my absolute nemesis! :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:11 »
a few years back my heavily netted off brassicas got dessimated by caterpillars and I was left baffled as to how the butterflies were getting in.  Then I noticed caterpillars on the ground - they were actually crossing from one ravaged area to the next and getting in the cages that way  :ohmy:

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 15:33 »
I would think that if the top leaves were touching the net, the avipositor (egg-laying bit) of the butterfly would be able to penetrate the net - hence catty-piddlars!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 20:27 »
I would think that if the top leaves were touching the net, the avipositor (egg-laying bit) of the butterfly would be able to penetrate the net - hence catty-piddlars!

Well this is just it - quite possible.
This year I've bought some hoops for my net that can be made so tall I can actually stand under them at their very tallest option.  ;)

xx
Enviromesh: where to buy

Started by penance on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 22:16
by noshed
xx
Enviromesh ??

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 26, 2021, 20:36
by mumofstig
xx
Enviromesh

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 09:24
by little sweetpeas
xx
Best way to use enviromesh!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:03
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 31 queries.