coccsidiosus and getting new hens.

• 4 Replies

Lmo25

coccsidiosus and getting new hens.
« on: June 08, 2012, 15:15 »
Hi everyone, looking for some advice. 

I have had 2 chickens since March but unfortunately lost one yesterday morning. We had taken her to the vet which cost us £150 but the results never came back until yesterday that she had coccsidosiss.  But it was to late for her.  I have got some coxiod for my other chook although showing no signs until yesterday just thought to treat her any way.

But she has not eaten since yesterday and has been staying in her coop most of the day yesterday and today.  I haven't seen her drink so don't know if she is getting the coxiod.  Would it be possible to syringe it in to her mouth?  I think it may be her wee buddie leaving that may be affecting her more than being ill?   I was going to wait until I had treated her before getting more but I'm worried she is lonely and this is affecting her more.  Would it be possible to get another hen and treat that one aswell ?  She has also hurt her foot so not having much luck at all!

Sorry for going on but really worried about what to do.  Any advice welcome. Thanks

Edited: to make the post easier to read !
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 16:45 by Aunt Sally »

Casey76

Re: coccsidiosus and getting new hens.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 15:56 »
I would switch the Coxoid for Baycox (from your vet).  You will need to treat for the appropriate amount of time to be on the safe side.  Some hens are more resistant to coccidiosis than others (and there are about 26 different strains of coccidia which cause the disease).

As coccidiosis is highly contagious, and can be caught from fecal matter, you will have to poo pick very thoroughly while she is being treated.  I would sprinkle the ground of the run with stalosan F (a dry disinfectant), and leave it at least a month before  intorducing new hens.

Be aware, that while you are treating with Coxoid or Baycox you must throw away the eggs, plus any for at least 7 days afterwards (check with your vet for the egg withdrawal) :)

Sorry you lost your hen, and good luck with your other one :)

Lmo25

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 17:01 »
Thank you for your reply.  :)

Will keep going with the Coxiod just now to try and save her vet won't be open till Monday now.  How much does Baycox cost if you know? Have already spent nearly £200 trying to save them OH not to happy  >:(.Just checked her and she has still not left the coop.I have been picking up any poops but not been as much as normal ( maybe due to not eating)although they do seem normal compared to the other one. I havent been letting her free range and have got  Bi-00-cyst to clean the run and coop which I plan to do tomorrow.

Do you think the other one, dying, would effect her and stop her eating or do you think it is Coccidiosis?

They are my sons chickens and got to be really nice, he was so upset about BooBoo dying I just hope I can save Mrs Bojangles!

Thanks

splash101

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 17:22 »
A couple of years ago i bought some 10 day old chicks who had it, im not sure if they had already got it when they came to me but it was the next morning i noticed the blood.

The chick in question did not move and looked very sorry for it self. it did however drink the coxoid solution and recovered very quickly. I was also bought the Bi-OO-cyst, i thought the supplier was trying to pull a fast one as i had asked if i could just use stalosan. I bought it anyway. The supplier also told me that once a chick has had coccidiosis they never make good chickens / layers. (Prophet of doom  :(  However she recovered very quickly (which is good because it can kill in a very short time) and she got older and went onto lay every day.

If she isnt drinking it she wont get better, try dipping her beak in it to encourage her or if that fails i would try syringing a bit at a time. Even is she isnt showing any signs, make sure you treat her for the 7 days as directed and dont be tempted to miss the odd day as it will come back if she has it.

Be generous when cleaning with the Bi-oo-cyst as they can live in the ground along time without a host, which would mean any birds you get in the future could also pick it up.

They can recover if treated quickly.

Lmo25

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 17:56 »
That's great will try giving her some in a syringe tonight and will stick with it  :).

Will just wait before getting anymore then and hopefully she will be ok.

Thanks for your help guys

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 37 queries.