Moulting hens

• 4 Replies

Mavis

Moulting hens
« on: June 07, 2012, 16:02 »
Hello,

Please could anyone tell me what course of action I should take to try and stop my girls from moulting.  Of the four that I have, one is moulting from her head and neck, the other from near her tail and the other from her chest.  One seems to be o.k.  I have dusted their coop liberally with mite powder, but have been unable to apply it to them as they run like mad and are very difficult to catch!  Any advice greatfully received.  Mavis

Raven81

Re: Moulting hens
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 16:55 »
Hello Mavis, I am no expert but just a couple of questions, how old are they?

What do you mean by moulting? do you mean a natural moult just losing their feathers? as this is natural, or do you mean they are pecking each other or scratching and pulling feathers out.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 20:27 »
You could take them out one by one when they go to roost. Depending on age they might be moulting as norm, some moult in summer some in winter.

Mavis

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 17:03 »
Hello Mavis, I am no expert but just a couple of questions, how old are they?

What do you mean by moulting? do you mean a natural moult just losing their feathers? as this is natural, or do you mean they are pecking each other or scratching and pulling feathers out.

They dont seem to be pecking each other, but their skin is very red and sore looking.  They are nearly two years old.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 21:08 »
They may well be moulting, but you could try anti peck spray just in case they are feather pulling due to boredom. Are they in their pen all day with hanging greens or free ranging? Check the house for mites, the underside of the perch at the sides might look grey.
Mavis always had red looking skin underneath with hardly any feathers and she was fine. Died at the age of 6.

xx
Moulting hens

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 17:02
by Vember
xx
Problem with hens moulting badly

Started by Herbyforager on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 08:55
by Sassy
xx
moulting (?) hen

Started by peter and jean on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 11:05
by peter and jean
xx
moulting? not sure

Started by sued on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 09:35
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 36 queries.