Chicks

• 8 Replies

Chicken star

Chicks
« on: June 07, 2012, 13:11 »
Last night I was given 10 Sussex chicks and 5 polish of 4 weeks old (they're gorgeous :D),  at the moment they are in a section of my coop where they can see the older hens but can't get to them.

I have been told to give them  chick crumb but I haven't been told when the transition between crumb and corn should be made.

Can anyone tell me how long the chicks should be on crumb for and when should I introduce them to my older hens?

Thanks in advance.

jhub

• jane
Re: Chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 14:00 »
Hi Chicken Star,
I've just got some 5 week old chicks- aren't they gorgeous!
From what I've read they can transfer to growers pellets between six and eight weeks of age. Make the transition by mixing chick crumb with growers and gradually increasing the ratio of growers to  crumb until fully weaned into growers.
Good luck.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:56 »
Hi as jhub said at about 7 weeks then change to growers untill about 15 weeks then move on to layers pellets i wouldnt feed corn untill 21 weeks and then only as a treat layers pellets have all the vitamins a chuck needs to be healthy  :D
Chicken crazy

Chicken star

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35 »
Thank you Tony H and Jhub  :)
When would you introduce them to older hens? ( I know not for  good couple of weeks. I was thinking maybe when they're about 16-20 weeks old)
Thanks 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57 »
yes that should be about right to introduce them to the big girls if they don't have a broody to protect them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chicken star

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:03 »
yes that should be about right to introduce them to the big girls if they don't have a broody to protect them  :)

fd01

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 22:38 »
Mine were in a rabbit hutch next to my older chickens for a week and a half, they could interact through the bars. On first introductions a bit of chasing was done, but corrected. Now they're all in together at 8 weeks old and free ranging. No problems.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 08:16 »
Hello i hatched some eggs under a broody last year and after 3 weeks four hatched yippee i thought until mum then decided after 4 weeks that she didnt want to be a mum any more and went back to laying eggs leaving chicks to fend on there own .....
so at just under 5 weeks old the little * were orphans this however didnt stop them and they all survived.

now all live down the road at another converts house (upto date 4 friends now have hens and i swear its because they have all seen my girls running,digging,playing oh and eggs)
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Chicken star

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 20:48 »
Mine were in a rabbit hutch next to my older chickens for a week and a half, they could interact through the bars. On first introductions a bit of chasing was done, but corrected. Now they're all in together at 8 weeks old and free ranging. No problems.

Mine are all in hutches with bars on the front and are interacting very well, they're are a really good idea.

Hello i hatched some eggs under a broody last year and after 3 weeks four hatched yippee i thought until mum then decided after 4 weeks that she didnt want to be a mum any more and went back to laying eggs leaving chicks to fend on there own .....
so at just under 5 weeks old the little * were orphans this however didnt stop them and they all survived.

now all live down the road at another converts house (upto date 4 friends now have hens and i swear its because they have all seen my girls running,digging,playing oh and eggs)

How cute, :) I really want to let mine out but i'm nervous my older ones will attack them and kill them from shock  :(
I have some silkies that are about 10 weeks old I think i will let them out this weekend and wait for the others to grow a bit bigger first.

Thank you both for the help   :D

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 37 queries.